About the location
Alcoa's U.S. portfolio includes Alcoa's corporate headquarters (ACC), Alcoa's Technology Center (ATC), four smelters, hydroelectric power and a calcined coke plant. Our Massena facility in New York State, established in 1902, is home to the longest continuously operating smelter in the world. Located on the St. Lawrence River, Massena, NY is the center for commercial, industrial, and manufacturing success in St. Lawrence County. Its four seasons of natural beauty and abundant outdoor recreational activities attract tourists and local residents to enjoy year-round. Massena's caring sense of community, affordable cost of living, and extremely low-cost locally-supplied energy, coupled with four public and private universities nearby, make Massena a great place to call home. From the Thousand Island region to explore by boat, to fishing in the St. Lawrence River, to swimming in three beautiful nearby riverside beaches, to experiencing beautiful foliage and hiking in the Fall, to snowmobiling, and many other winter sports, there's always something fun to see and do. And within a two hour drive (or less) are cosmopolitan and historic Montreal and Ottawa, Canada to the north, and to the south are the tall, beautiful views of Adirondacks and within it is Lake Placid, The Olympic Village.
About the job
This role will provide leadership, coordination, and supervision of the Maintenance Engineering team to support operational excellence of the maintenance execution group; ensure increased equipment performance and bolster the world-class maintenance process at Massena Operations. This position manages an organization of 7 salaried engineers developing strategies and focusing on continuous improvement to keep equipment running in every aspect of business at Massena. This includes anode production, smelting aluminum and casting aluminum into solid form and every piece of equipment on our site.Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support plant policies assuring that environmental, health and safety are the first priority of the business by requiring EHS training for subordinates, ensuring environmental control is maintained and supporting departmental environmental objectives and plant environmental goals. Provide leadership to subordinates on the importance of EHS issues on every job.
- Leadership role as a change agent to drive the reliability culture and deployment of consistent execution of reliability tools and concepts.
- Provide leadership, mentoring and coordination of TPM and equipment wellness events.
- Provide leadership in resolving efficient deployment of critical reliability resources to ensure maximum capacity of manufacturing process equipment and support service equipment.
- Provide leadership in driving RCA initiatives and developing prioritization of efforts.
- Take a leadership role in counseling the maintenance execution and planning functions to improve maintenance procedures, tasks lists and job plans.
- Take a leadership role in interfacing with the capital project team to ensure new equipment designs include critical spares, and to ensure proper PM's are established at the correct frequencies.
- Ensure that all engineers know Alcoa's engineering and safety standards and when performing work, it is being done in accordance to all of Alcoa's standards.
- Provide leadership in the development of direct to ensure qualified candidates are ready to fill key positions within Engineering organization. Responsible for ensuring the organization is staffed with high quality incumbents. Conduct Performance Management for direct reports.
- Mentor direct reports to continuously improve their skill level.
- Provide CMMS Administrator duties for Massena Operations.
- Assist in developing maintenance budgets and tactical plans to meet Massena's objectives for the maintenance department.
- Assist in the development and execution of maintenance department training objectives.
- Provide leadership in assisting the planning process in maintaining computerized equipment histories, maintenance cost records, equipment PMs and lube schedules, equipment spare parts' inventory, and other information related to asset management.
- The engineer lead will drive the engineer group through the REX initiative and as such will need to be an agent of change, be a good listener
- The engineer lead will be asked to learn the REX target state from global and regional Asset Management CoE and take those findings and guide their team as will as demonstrate how to work at the target state.
- The engineer lead will be asked to lead the most important projects within the maintenance organization, lead by example show/demonstrate how to take big problems and break them down into smaller pieces to resolve.
Our values – act with integrity, operate with excellence, care for people & lead with courage – are at the foundation of everything we do. To be successful in this role and to play a part in our ongoing success we desire the following background:
- Engineering experience in a manufacturing or process industry
- Excellent communication skills with proven ability to build relationships at all levels of the organization
- Influential and flexible leadership with experience encouraging and championing a diverse workforce
- Excellent analysis and problem-solving skills
- 4-year degree in an engineering field and 5 years of industrial manufacturing experience
- Working knowledge of casting process
- Ability to influence and communicate across the spectrum of the workforce (i.e. management to operators and maintainers).
- 8 years of increasing responsibility in an industrial manufacturing environment
- Strong verbal and writing skills
- Computer literacy; MS office and related packages. MS Excel is important
- Results-focused aptitude
- Strong work ethic to deliver safe, clean and efficient maintenance
- Strong communicator, ability to train others and speak in front of an audience
- Must be self-motived and a problem solver
To support our teams and their families beyond the workplace, Alcoa provides an outstanding benefits package effective day one of employment! In addition to medical benefits, employee resource group opportunities, 401K options and a first-rate vacation plan for valuable work-life balance.
We are values led, vision driven and united by our purpose of transforming raw potential into real progress. Our commitments to Inclusion, Diversity & Equity include providing trusting workplaces that are safe, respectful and inclusive of all individuals, free from discrimination, bullying and harassment and that our workplaces reflect the diversity of the communities in which we operate.
As a proud equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer, Alcoa is dedicated to providing equal opportunities and equal access to all individuals regardless of a person's gender, age, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, nation of origin, disability, veteran status, language spoken or any other characteristic or status protected by the laws or regulations in the places where we operate.
If you have visited our website in search of information on U.S. employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Alcoa Recruiting via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a place where you are empowered to do your best work, be your authentic self, and feel a true sense of belonging. Come join us!
Apply on company website