Purpose of Position:
The Mental Health Technician provides direct patient care under the supervision of nurses. MHT's provide assistance to patients in daily living such as assisting with bathing, eating, dressing, and toileting. MHT's provide the provision of a safe, therapeutic environment, and crisis intervention. Because they serve in close contact with patients, MHT's may encounter violent patients or crisis situations.
Description of Required Duties and Tasks:
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following.
• Completes appropriate documentation that is organized, clear, complete, current and legible.
• Compliance with completion, filing, and retrieval of medical records.
• Takes vital signs (temp, blood pressure, pulse, and respiratory rate).
• Direct patient care such as bathing, dressing, and walking.
• Turn and reposition patients to prevent skin breakdown.
• Change bed linens.
• Record amount of oral intake and measure urinary output.
• Supply/empty bed pans
• Interact with patients and family in a professional manner.
• Transport patients and equipment.
• Report incidents to supervisor.
• Monitor patients for assessments and report to supervisor.
• Follow infectious disease precautions to prevent spread of infections.
• Assist with monitoring of a safe and therapeutic work environment.
• Complete admission paperwork and patient orientation to the hospital.
• Request direction and supervision when needed.
• Adheres to and respect all policies regarding patient rights, anonymity, and confidentiality of all patient records past and present. This includes any written or verbal communications regarding patient identity, address and situation.
• Promotes and adheres to cultural competency in patients, visitors, physicians, co-workers, vendors, supervisors, and management.
• Participate and assist with recreational activities for patients.
• Adheres to compliance of restraint and seclusion guidelines.
• Participate and assist with therapeutic activities for patients.
• Functions in a friendly, supportive, courteous, respectful, cooperative, and professional manner with patients, families, physicians, referral sources, visitors, coworkers, and management.
• Promotes, adheres, and monitors for a drug and violence free work place.
• Must be compassionate and truly interested in helping others.
• Must be patient, honest, good communicators, good observer, and capable of handling tough stressful, and crisis situations.
• Displays flexibility, cooperation, and positive attitude in regard to work.
• Practices de-escalation techniques and therapeutic rapport toward patients.
• Knowledgeable in the needs of the patients served and patient rights.
• Knowledgeable in admission criteria for patients and ability to screen for criteria.
• Knowledgeable in restraints and seclusion laws, regulations and requirements.
• Knowledgeable and demonstrates the mission of the hospital.
• Promotion of the reduction of stigma of mental illness.
• Knowledgeable of the persons served and their rights.
• Advocate for the needs of the persons served.
- Technical/other training degree or better
Licenses & Certifications
- Certified Nurse Assistant
- CPI Certification
Apply on company website