This position exists to build, rebuild, maintain, repair and modify progressive stamping dies and other tooling and machinery in a manner which will increase the speed and quality of production.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Review specifications, interpret drawings and/or CAD graphics or geometry, and determine construction requirements of each new tool to be built.
- Make changes and/or discuss with engineering any deviations or obvious errors on prints or CAD information, in order to proceed with certainty on each project.
- Plan, layout and perform all bench and machine operations necessary to construct and/or alter progressive stamping dies and tooling to meet production needs.
- Perform precision workmanship to insure the highest quality and accuracy of work within reasonable time limits.
- Ensure new progressive stamping dies run smoothly by visually monitoring performance; make suggestions or necessary modifications.
- May improve and recommend changes in tolerance requirements or in tooling to reduce costs or improve quality of production methods.
- Ensure new progressive stamping dies meet specifications by measuring, using proper measuring equipment
- Act as a resource in department by answering questions on new progressive stamping dies, tooling problems, set up problems, project feasibility or quality standard conformance.
- Maintains tools and machines in proper working order.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Skills/Abilities - Must have above average knowledge of shop mathematics and/or trigonometry. Ability to interpret engineering drawings and computer generated CAD files. Ability to evaluate the potential and limitations of production equipment as a guide to constructing progressive stamping dies which will best facilitate production. Ability to set up and operate all machine tools and skillfully use all measuring instruments.
- Learning Period - Two (2) years are necessary to learn the basics of this job, with another five (5) years necessary to perform all aspects of the job with minimal supervision.
- Supervision Received - Positions receives general supervision. The incumbent refers only exceptional problems to supervisor. Assignments are specific, incumbent relies on own experience and judgment to devise methods and procedures for completing tasks.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Organizes own workload, often juggling multiple priorities.
- Visualize the layout and construction of new progressive stamping dies. Question deviations and possible errors in specifications prior to proceeding with a project. Select proper machines and tools for each phase of progressive stamping dies building or repair. May work with engineering in repairing or recommending change in the equipment to prevent repeated damage to equipment or tools worked on.
- Relations with Others - The incumbent will have a working relationship with stamping department, engineering, maintenance, model shop and assembly personnel. Answers questions and advises on new tooling and tooling problems. May participate in small group activities and other improvement efforts.
Qualifications / Prior Experience
- Training and Experience - Completion of a two-year vocational Tool & Die program. Training in CAD operation.
- Prefer five plus years’ experience in progressive stamping die repair. Must possess own tools.
Work Environment / Other Requirements
- Equipment Operated - Operates s in a skillful manner the CAD computer system, EDM machines, CNC milling machine, EDM wire cut machine, surface grinders, lathes, milling machines, drill press, saws and a variety of machinist inspection tools and equipment. A high degree of care is required to prevent damage to expensive equipment.
- Working Conditions and Hazards - General working conditions are good with an air conditioned environment. Exposure to general hazards of machine operation in the tool room and stamping areas. Daily exposed to grinding, cutting fluids, and fumes from solvent tanks. Uniform safety shoes, safety glasses with sideshields and other devices as required.
- Physical Effort Required - Requires high degree of manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination.
- Continuous standing with moderate to heavy lifting.
Apply to this job