JOB SUMMARY: Intermediate level specimen processing position with responsibilities that include receipt of biological specimens into the laboratory, introductory knowledge of specimen sorting and triage, proper receipt of the specimen into the information system, preparation of samples for analytical testing, and distribution of these specimens to the proper analytical area.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: High school diploma or GED equivalent with two years? experience in a laboratory specimen processing area required. Experience includes phlebotomy, urine collection, and/or centrifuging, aliquotting, and transporting blood and body fluid samples. Experience may also include slide preparation and staining, microbiology setup, reagent preparation, instrument loading and/or point-of-care testing.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, and/or REGISTRATION: Completes a minimum of four continuing education hours outside of annual in-service requirements.
- Obtains and sorts specimens from various delivery sources including the pneumatic tube system, specimen window, and courier services.
- Verifies acceptability requirements are met for clinical laboratory specimens prior to receipt into the laboratory information system.
- Verifies labeling acceptability and specimen stability requirements are met for anatomic pathology specimens.
- Identifies and resolves unacceptable specimens, such as those with labeling, specimen type, or specimen stability issues. If unable to resolve, brings them to the attention of a Medical Laboratory Assistant on the shift.
- Appropriately receives instrument ready barcoded specimens into the laboratory information system.
- Identifies and processes orders in the Electronic Medical Record for specimens received without instrument ready barcode labels.
- Identifies and processes orders for irretrievable body fluid specimens.
- Identifies and modifies incorrect orders placed based on specific order requirements for various specimen types.
- Appropriately receives samples with orders placed in the Outreach laboratory information system.
- Enters employee exposure lab orders into the Outreach laboratory information system.
- Enters orders from a paper requisition into the Electronic Medical Record or Outreach laboratory information system.
- Demonstrates intermediate knowledge of specimen triage and distribution to appropriate laboratory sections.
- Performs specimen processing techniques including centrifugation and aliquotting.
- Loads clinical laboratory specimens onto the automated testing track. Demonstrates intermediate knowledge of troubleshooting of laboratory order and specimen issues.
- Provides coverage of inbound calls for Laboratory Client Services during their off hours. Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS/QUALIFICATIONS: Ability to communicate courteously and professionally with internal and external customers Interacts with co-workers with an emphasis on teamwork and a focus on customer service. Effective computer information system and data entry skills. Ability to follow written and verbal instruction. Basic hand-eye coordination and the ability to handle multiple tasks at one time.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Exposure to risk of infection from disease-bearing specimens. Exposure to risk of blood borne/airborne disease. Possible exposure to odorous and toxic/flammable/corrosive chemicals and specimens. Moderate noise environment. Must wear protective equipment (gloves, lab coats, eye protection, and face protection).
Same Posting Description for Internal and External Candidates
Apply on company website