Main 5 consists of 27 private rooms. The types of patients seen on Main 5 are: those who have received surgical treatment/interventions, patients undergoing surgical procedures or surgery, and post-ICU or step-down transfer surgical patients.
BRIEF SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
Provides support to the patient care team, by performing direct patient care, under the direction of a Registered Nurse. Provides assistance, collects specimens, and performs limited tests per physician order according to established procedures and training.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL/COGNITIVE JOB FUNCTIONS
- Supports other direct caregivers as needed, under the direction of a Registered Nurse.
- Performs activities of daily living including but not limited to:
- Positioning/turns/skin care
- Meal intake %
- Empties Foleys
- Transfers to chair/log roll
- Pass water
- Oral care
- Maintaining safety
- Heights and weights
- Ostomy care
- Answer call lights
- I&O's and charting in Cerner
- Vital signs
- Catheter care
- Venipuncture/ drawing CBN's
- Makes beds and performs other special housekeeping duties as may be directed. Distributes clean linen and collect dirty linen.
- Transports monitored and non-monitored assigned patients throughout all areas of the hospital as directed. Assists with patient transfers and discharges, including removal of equipment from patient rooms post-discharge.
- Assists patient with menu completion. Delivers nourishments to assigned patient; provides water, ice, and between meal dietary needs to patients; cleans/maintains patient refrigerator and updates refrigerator temperature log, as assigned.
- Cleans equipment/utility room and stocks rooms.
- Collects specimens and obtains blood glucose according to established procedures and per physician orders and policy. Arranges for transport of specimens to laboratory as appropriate.
- Performs EKGs, removal of Foley catheters, and bladder scans under the guidance of a registered nurse.
- Places patient on monitor telemetry leads.
- Applies external devices (such as SCD's, Pulse Oximetry, TPump, etc.) per physician order.
- Maintains safety initiatives including but not limited to: hourly rounding, answering lights, monitoring patients who are a high risk for falls, and may be asked to provide 1:1 bedside companionship for patients as indicated.
- Ability to maintain composure in high-pressure situations.
- Conveys an attitude of understanding, trust, and compassion for individuals.
- Good communication skills
- Commits to providing exceptional customer service to our patients and visitors. Commits to treating coworkers with respect and dignity and will follow our Non-negotiable Standards to promote a consistent positive experience for patients, employees and visitors.
- Documents care provided in Cerner.
- The applicant will have to demonstrate competency every 3 months for the first year of taking on the Patient Care Technician role with annual competency after the first year.
- Complete housewide mandatory education and maintains Basic Life Support Certification and any licensure if applicable.
- High School graduate
- AHA Healthcare Provider Training is required (BLS)
- Adheres to the hospital attendance policy and will make every effort to consistently be punctual when reporting to work and during daily activities.
- Basic computer skills are required
- Working hours vary according to departmental needs.
- Works under the direct supervision of an RN.
- Lunch periods will be assigned by the Charge RN.
- Requires full range of body motion which may include handling and lifting patients, manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination
- Requires standing and walking for extended periods of time
- Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range
- May require exposure to communicable disease, body fluids, toxic substances, ionizing radiation, and other potentially hazardous conditions common to a clinical environment, such as risk of falls, strains, etc.
Check all factors that are present as essential job requirements and check whether the factor is performed.
O = Occasionally = 0- 33% of the work shift or 0- 32 repetitions.
F = Frequently = 34-66% of the work shift or 32-200+ repetitions.
C = Constantly = 67-100% of the work shift or 200+ repetitions.
N = Not essential job requirement.
O Lifting (70 pounds)
O Carrying (70 pounds)
O Pushing (70 pounds)
N Climbing with (70 pounds)
O Reaching Up/Reaching Forward
HAZARDOUS EXPOSURE CATEGORY
Apply on company website