PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The primary purpose of the position of Surgical Technology Specialist
in the Operating Room is to function in the role of technical assistant to the surgical and the anesthesia team.
PRIMARY, DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND STANDARDS
1. Demonstrates knowledge and skill necessary to provide
perioperative patient care, appropriate to patient age,
by implementing the standard of care. ______
2. Specimens are prepared and handled according to procedure. ______
3. Demonstrates by usage, knowledge of the safe operations of equipment related to perioperative care. ______
1. * Maintains current license/certification/registry as
mandated by the State of Ohio. ______
2. * Completes and adheres to knowledge gained through annual
employee educational marathon. ie. safety, CPR,
competency, TB testing. ______
3. Attends or reads minutes of unit meetings. ______
4. * Adheres to hospital policies of time and attendance. ______
5. Adheres to departmental dress code. ______
6. Actively serves on committees or offers input
for the improvement of patient care. ______
7. * Maintains confidentiality of information regarding
patient, employees, hospital, and physicians. ______
8. Demonstrates behavior reflective of the mission, values,
and operating guidelines of Aultman Hospital. ______
9. Shows flexibility in working hours and is available for
call as assigned. ______
10. Makes appropriate recommendations and/or participates
in the implementation of change in order to improve
overall quality of service. ______
11. Recognizes self-responsibility and accountability for
own practice. ______
12. Works harmoniously with other healthcare personnel. ______
13. * Uses Personal Protective Equipment and utilizes
STANDARD PRECAUTIONS (former Universal Precautions)
when performing tasks presenting the possibility of
exposure to blood or body fluids. ______
14. Demonstrates and awareness of the continuing changes taking
place in the role of this job.
Eagerly performs the new roles this job demands. ______
15. Performs other duties as assigned. ______
1. Assists with invasive line insertion and safe monitoring
preparation for all patients. ______
2. Performs hemodynamic, respiratory, and oxygen profiles in areas of responsibility. ______
3. Coordinates equipment usage throughout hospital areas
within their responsibilities. ______
4. Attends all codes within the operating room and from recent
post op patients in SICU/CSICU and PACU. ______
5. * Maintains strict control of needles and sharps. Disposes
of them according to procedure. ______
6. * Demonstrates by example, the application and rigid control
of the principles and practices of aseptic technique. ______
7. Prioritizes the work load and facilitates in maintaining
stock supplies in a cost-effective manner. ______
8. Demonstrates knowledge of procedure by anticipating
throughout the case any additional supplies and/or
equipment that may be needed. ______
9. Practices cost containment by opening only needed supplies
for a procedure. ______
10. Assists with intubations, fiberoptic bronchoscopes, T.E.E.,
intra-aortic balloon pumps, stereotactic procedures, etc. ______
11. Prepares and operates the cell-saver equipment within the
current A.A.B.B., F.D.A., and manufacturer regulations. ______
12. Prepares monitor, oxygen, and ambu apparatus, and assists
with transport of lined patients. ______
13. Trouble-shoots anesthesia machines and supportive monitoring
14. Assesses the patient chart to insure written order for autotransfusion, lab work, etc.
1. Has variable shift rotation that includes but may not be limited to 7:00am - 3:30pm, 9:00am - 5:30pm, 3:00pm - 11:30pm,
11:00pm - 7:00am, or 11:00am - 7:30pm.
2. Stands for long periods of time.
3. Breaks and lunch are coordinated with other personnel and workload activity.
4. Blood and body fluid exposure 1.
5. Frequent changes in duties throughout working hours.
6. Involved with personnel, patients, and physicians under all circumstances and conditions, especially high stress circumstances.
7. Required to take "out of hospital" call.
Apply on company website