Avita Health System currently operates three major healthcare facilities and 31 clinic locations throughout North Central Ohio. Within the last three years, the system has tripled in size branching out into ten communities throughout the region. There are over 1,800 employees and 110 employed member multispecialty group of physicians and advanced practitioners that provide these communities with optimal, high-quality healthcare. In 2015, Avita has received a national award, placing them in the top 10 percent nationally in customer service.
Avita Health System continues to grow, and with our expansion we have various open positions in our Bucyrus, Galion and Ontario locations.
We are currently accepting resumes & applications for the following position, located at our Ontario, Ohio location:
Under the direct supervision of the Nutrition Services Manager, the cook will prepare, cook, season and serve food for hospital patients, staff and visitors. Cook may be required to assist with special events.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Determines types and quantities of meats, vegetables and soups to be prepared by reviewing planned menus and daily production sheets.
2. Determines amount of foods needed to meet weekly menus and pulls/pre-prepares appropriate quantities as needed.
3. Ensures meals are ready at specified times.
4. Consults with Nutrition Services Manager regarding use of un-used portions.
5. Measures and mixes ingredients according to approved recipes using blenders, mixers, grinders, slicers etc.
6. Makes sauces, soups, stews, casseroles and desserts meeting established dietary guidelines and standardized recipes.
7. Cooks meat, fish and fowl in a variety of ways such as baking, roasting, broiling and steaming.
8. Properly portions meat, fish and fowl into individual servings according to menu combinations and patient diet orders. Adheres to thirty-minute time line per each patient meal order for the patient room service meals.
9. Tests foods being cooked for proper temperature; adjusts heat controls as necessary.
10. Follow patient recipe and visual guides for preparing patient meals.
11. Assists in orienting and in servicing new employees to the department.
12. Consistently checks tally sheets for food items needed when coming on duty; ensures that all foods listed on menu are available.
13. Consistently obtains proper utensils for service; is aware of portion sizes for each.
14. Demonstrates working knowledge of and always observes food service sanitation and safety procedures; adhering to proper food handling procedures and service for all food items.
15. Consistently returns items to specified areas; properly stores cold un-used food (labels & dates).
16. Cleans station thoroughly before leaving area for other assignment. Maintains a neat and orderly work area.
17. Responds to changes in the workload schedule as necessary, continually uses time in a productive manner – stocks shelves, cleans, organizes as well as assists fellow coworkers.
18. Demonstrates the ability to use all necessary food service equipment; knows operation of steam table, ovens, steamer, tilting skillet and other equipment assigned for use.
19. Demonstrates cost-conscious attitude in daily operation of food service; practices cost control measures by practicing portion control techniques such as minimizing waste and overproduction.
20. Demonstrates the ability to observe all safety precautions in performing regular duties; knows how to lift properly and how to avoid careless accidents.
21. Consistently demonstrates the ability to assess a situation, consider alternatives and choose the appropriate course of action within the scope of the position.
22. Consistently demonstrates competence in day-to-day scheduling of duties by completing tasks on time with little assistance required from others.
23. Disposes of trash/garbage in the appropriate manner.
24. Performs special cleaning duties as assigned by the manager.
25. Observes infection control practices at all times.
26. Maintains a good working relationship both within the department and with other departments.
27. Documentation meets current standards and policies (i.e. temperatures).
28. Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
29. Demonstrates the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
30. Assists with special events as requested.
31. Properly receiving food orders practicing proper food rotation and communicating inventory needs for the department.
32. Performs other duties as assigned.
33. Adheres to dress code standards; appearance is neat and clean.
34. Maintains regulatory requirements: proper temperature, proper wrapping, proper dating, proper storage and proper rotation.
35. Reports to work on time and as scheduled; completes work within designated time.
36. Wears identification while on duty with the front of the badge facing forward and readable.
37. Uses computerized punch time system and completed time edit sheets correctly.
38. Completes in services and returns in a timely fashion.
39. Attends staff meetings; reads and returns all monthly staff meeting minutes and memos.
40. Ensures patient confidentiality.
41. Actively participates in department's continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
42. Demonstrates professionalism and courtesy when dealing with ALL people (i.e. staff, managers/supervisors, administration, patients, visitors, physicians).
43. Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner including in the community.
44. Adheres to the Standards of Behavior established by the organization.
45. Communicates the mission, vision and values of the facility.
46. Exhibits and practices good customer service skills with both internal and external.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Previous experience with food preparation.
• Vocational training in food service.
• Current valid Ohio driver's license in good standing with insurance company acceptable driving record.
• Able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
• Basic computer knowledge.
• Have ability to calculate measurements in recipes to increase or decrease servings.
• For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client care.
Shift varies, days vary
80 hours biweekly
Apply on company website