Avita Health System currently operates three major healthcare facilities and 31 clinic locations throughout North Central Ohio. Within the last three years, the system has tripled in size branching out into ten communities throughout the region. There are over 1,800 employees and 110 employed member multispecialty group of physicians and advanced practitioners that provide these communities with optimal, high-quality healthcare. In 2015, Avita has received a national award, placing them in the top 10 percent nationally in customer service.
Avita Health System continues to grow, and with our expansion we have various open positions in our Bucyrus, Galion and Ontario locations.
We are currently accepting resumes & applications for the following position, located at our Bucyrus/Galion & Ontario, Ohio locations:
Responsible for supervision of patient care on the nursing unit and supervises the clinical personnel. Consults with staff, physicians, management team on nursing problems and interpretation of organizational policies to ensure patient needs are met. Assists with performance improvement activities for nursing services and participates in CQI activities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Demonstrates competence in technical and manual skills, according to the scope of practice for RN's.
2. Is a motivated, independent individual who can organize workload so that all functions are completed appropriately.
3. Delegates nursing care to team members appropriately and according to staff's capabilities within legal limitations and is responsible for the completion and quality of those delegated duties.
4. Consistently demonstrates a professional, self-directed, mature, disciplined and tactful approach to department responsibilities.
5. Demonstrates ability to remain calm in emergency and/or stressful situations and gives everyone a feeling of confidence that the situation is under control.
6. Effectively utilizes resources of interdisciplinary team referrals and communications.
7. Establishes and maintains job specifications for nursing unit personnel in conjunction with the Nurse Manager.
8. Participates in nursing unit planning, decision making and policy formulation as requested.
9. Functions as a liaison between the nurse manager, patients, physicians and other healthcare team members.
10. Represents nursing unit on various committees, i.e., Environment of Care, Medical Records Review, Quality Care as required.
11. Participates in the performance improvement functions by collecting and verifying data, as needed.
12. Consults other departments, as appropriate, to provide for an interdisciplinary approach to the patient's needs.
13. Demonstrates knowledge of the patient population and evaluates licensed nurses' abilities to assess and reassess patients.
14. Communicates effectively with physicians and to other staff through shift report by relaying pertinent information from assessment, patient, family and record.
15. Coordinates and directs patient care and education by monitoring care plans and assisting licensed nurses to improve the quality of care rendered.
16. Demonstrates knowledge of identifying potential emergency situations and acts accordingly (e.g. BLS, ACLS, etc.).
17. Is flexible to meet the needs of the department and changes in the workload.
18. Demonstrates effective organizational skills through ongoing interaction with physicians, nurse managers, and ancillary department managers.
19. Assists Nurse Manager with investigating complaints, concerns, incidents and policy deviations and works to resolve issues.
20. Assists Nurse Manager with cost containment through the appropriate ordering, utilization, capturing charges, and conserving of supplies and equipment.
21. Provides interpretations of organizational policies to the nursing unit staff, patients and families.
22. Demonstrates creativity in solving problems and looking at situations in new and innovative ways attempting to consider the viewpoint of others.
23. Supervises licensed nurses and other members of the healthcare team in order to accomplish the plan of care and in a manner that contributes to the excellence of the nursing unit.
24. Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity and functions as a patient advocate by protecting the patient's rights and while identifying and addresses psychosocial, cultural, ethnic and religious/spiritual needs of patients and their families.
25. Interacts with patients, families, co-workers, managers and other departmental personnel in a kind, knowledgeable and friendly manner.
26. Notifies family member or supportive other of changes in patient's condition or plan of treatment, as appropriate.
27. Seeks assistance from Nurse Manager, as necessary, in solving clinical problems as well as communicates relevant information regarding the patient.
28. Ability to perform head-to-toe assessment on patients and reassesses per policy while documenting thoroughly.
29. Assesses the patient's condition and nursing needs; sets goals; plans appropriate nursing interventions; implements actions; evaluates these on an ongoing basis while appropriately documenting changes in condition and nursing care in notes.
30. Accurately perceives patient problems and/or complications based on effective assessment skills.
31. Ability to adequately assess and reassess pain. Utilizes appropriate pain management techniques. Educates the patient and family regarding pain management.
32. Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety.
33. Administers medications, following the five medication rights and reduces the potential for medication errors.
34. Demonstrates thorough knowledge of medication dosages when administering medications and utilizes appropriate anatomical sites for SQ/IM injections for all ages.
35. Demonstrates the ability to initiate and monitor IV therapy including IV rounds, IV medications, administration and implementation of new orders.
36. Follows proper infection control procedures and promotes staff adherence to infection control procedures.
37. Demonstrates the ability to assess reports (e.g. EKGs, labs, etc.); communicates abnormalities to physician as appropriate.
38. Notifies physician of changes in patient's condition and follows through until appropriate action is taken as well as notes and carries out physician's orders in a timely manner.
39. Assists physicians with special tests and procedures as needed then properly monitors the patients (e.g. insertion of central line bone marrows, etc.)
40. Regularly checks emergency crash cart and demonstrates familiarity with crash cart functions and defibrillator.
41. Incorporates “scripting” into interactions with patients and families.
42. Perform and understands the importance of “hourly rounding.”
43. Accurately interprets rhythm strips and seeks guidance to clarify interpretation as needed. Notifies physician of major alterations in rhythm.
44. Acts as a resource person for interpretation, rational and treatment of arrhythmias.
45. Demonstrates a complete knowledge of the location and operation of all equipment specific to step-down unit (i.e. telemetry, monitor, datascope, etc.).
46. Performs other duties as assigned.
47. Completes annual education requirements.
48. Maintains regulatory requirements, including all state, federal and the accrediting body regulations.
49. Attends committee, CQI and management meetings, as appropriate.
50. Ensures compliance with policies and procedures regarding department operations, fire, safety and infection control.
51. Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
52. Maintains and ensures patient confidentiality at all times.
53. Works at maintaining a good rapport and a cooperative working relationship with physicians, departments and staff.
54. Resolves personnel concerns at the departmental level, utilizing the grievance process as required.
55. Effectively and consistently communicates administrative directive to personnel and encourages interactive departmental meetings and discussions.
56. Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner including in the community.
57. Adheres to the Standards of Behavior established by the organization.
58. Communicates the mission, vision and values of the facility.
59. Exhibits and practices good customer service skills with both internal and external customers.
60. Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean.
61. Reports to work on time and as scheduled.
62. Wears identification, clearly visible at chest/lapel level, while on duty.
• Current Registered Nurse licensure in State of Ohio.
• Three or more years of previous nursing experience.
• Current BLS, ACLS & PALS certifications.
• Previous charge or management experience.
• Able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
• Great interpersonal and communication skills.
• Computer knowledge using Microsoft applications.
• Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
• Great customer service skills.
• For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client care.
Shift Varies, Days Vary
Casual - Hours will Vary
Apply on company website