Avita Health System currently operates three major healthcare facilities and 31 clinic locations throughout North Central Ohio. Within the last three years, the system has tripled in size branching out into ten communities throughout the region. There are over 1,800 employees and 110 employed member multispecialty group of physicians and advanced practitioners that provide these communities with optimal, high-quality healthcare. In 2015, Avita has received a national award, placing them in the top 10 percent nationally in customer service.
Avita Health System continues to grow, and with our expansion we have various open positions in our Bucyrus, Galion and Ontario locations.
We are currently accepting resumes & applications for the following position, located at our Galion, Ohio location:
Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates the nursing care of patients within the nursing unit. Responsible for ensuring continuity of care of the patients between shifts by providing direct care as well as supervising the care given by STNAs, LPNs and supportive staff members. Participates in patient and family teaching. Maintains role as patient advocate with a focus on the facility's mission.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Demonstrates competence in technical and manual skills, according to the scope of practice for RNs.
2. Is a motivated, independent individual who can prioritize and organize workload so that all functions are completed appropriately.
3. Demonstrates ability to remain calm in emergency and/or stressful situations and gives everyone a feeling of confidence that the situation is under control.
4. Functions as a liaison between administration, patients, physicians and other healthcare team members.
5. Communicates effectively with physicians and to other staff through shift report by relaying pertinent information from assessment, patient, family and record.
6. Demonstrates knowledge of identifying potential emergency situations and acts accordingly (e.g. BLS, ACLS, etc.)
7. Delegates nursing care to team members appropriately; according to staff's capabilities within legal limitations; is responsible for the completion and quality of those delegated duties.
8. Notifies family member or supportive other of changes in patient's condition or plan of treatment, as appropriate.
9. Seeks assistance from PCC or Unit Manager as necessary in solving clinical problems as well as communicates relevant information regarding the patient.
10. Demonstrates creativity in solving problems and looking at situations in new and innovative ways attempting to consider the viewpoint of others.
11. Consistently follows the policies and procedures of the facility.
12. Ability to perform a head-to-toe assessment on patients and reassesses per policy while documenting thoroughly.
13. Accurately perceives patient problems and/or complications based on effective assessment skills.
14. Assesses the patient's condition and nursing needs; sets goals; plans appropriate nursing interventions; implements actions and evaluates these on an ongoing basis.
15. Records nursing documentation in timely, clear and concise manner.
16. Identifies and addresses psychosocial, cultural, ethnic and religious/spiritual needs of patients and their families.
17. Ability to adequately assess and reassess pain. Utilizes appropriate pain management techniques. Educates the patient and family regarding pain management.
18. Responds appropriately to and documents changes in patient's condition and nursing care in notes.
19. Notifies physician of changes in patient's condition and follows through until appropriate action is taken.
20. Participates with orientation of new personnel.
21. Effectively utilizes resources of interdisciplinary team referrals and communications.
22. Initiates plan of care & updates responses and new problems while documenting in patient record, as appropriate.
23. Supervises other members of the healthcare team, as needed, in order to accomplish the plan of care and in a manner that contributes to the excellence of the nursing unit.
24. Notes and carries out physician's orders in a timely manner.
25. Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
26. Consistently involves patient and family in planning for care, treatment, teaching needs and discharge plans.
27. Functions as a patient advocate by protecting the patient's rights.
28. Interacts and treats patients, families, co-workers, managers and other departmental personnel in a kind, knowledgeable helpful and courteous manner.
29. Incorporates patient education and explains procedures and treatments to gain patient cooperation, reduce apprehension, and promote compliance.
30. Consistently is thorough with well documented shift and discharge summaries.
31. Administers medications, following the five medication rights, using two patient identifiers to reduce the potential for medication errors.
32. Assists physicians with special tests and procedures as needed then properly monitors the patients (i.e. insertion of central line, bone marrows, etc.)
33. Demonstrates an ability to assess reports (i.e. EKGs, labs, etc.); communicates abnormalities to physician as appropriate.
34. Follows proper infection control procedures and promotes staff adherence to infection control procedures.
35. Demonstrates the ability to initiate and monitor IV therapy including IV rounds, IV medications, administration and implementation of new orders.
36. Assists in cost containment through the appropriate utilization and conserving of supplies and equipment and captures charges.
37. Regularly checks emergency crash cart and demonstrates familiarity with crash cart functions and defibrillator.
SWING BED UNIT
38. Supports the teaching/practice of physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and recreation therapy with the patient skilled nursing and rehabilitation program.
39. Demonstrates appropriate knowledge of definitions, goals, philosophy of rehabilitation, and the role of the rehabilitation nurse.
40. Carries out rehabilitative- specific procedures utilizing therapeutic techniques for transfers, ambulation, ADL's, feeding and communication.
41. Presents patients at patient care conference, identifying problems, reporting interventions and progress.
42. Participates as an active member of the interdisciplinary team.
43. Provides education to patients regarding techniques and adaptive devices to enhance independence.
44. Other duties as assigned.
45. Completes annual education requirements.
46. Attends mandatory inservices without need for reminders or make-up sessions.
47. Adheres to regulatory requirements including all state, federal and the accrediting body regulations.
48. Actively participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
49. Attends a minimum of 4 staff meetings annually; is responsible for reading all monthly staff meeting minutes and memos.
50. Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
51. Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
52. Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner including in the community.
53. Adheres to the Standards of Behavior established by the organization.
54. Communicates the mission, vision and values of the facility.
55. Exhibits and practices good customer service skills with both internal and external customers.
56. Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean.
57. Reports to work on time and as scheduled.
58. Uses computerized punch time system and edit sheets correctly.
59. Wears identification while on duty; photo clearly visible on chest/lapel level.
60. Completes work within designated time.
61. Returns from breaks, meals, errands and inservices on time.
• Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State of Ohio.
• Current BLS certification.
• 2 or more years of previous nursing experience.
• Previous skilled nursing or rehabilitation nursing experience.
• Able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
• Basic computer knowledge.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Ability to multi-task.
• For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client care.
72 hours biweekly
Apply on company website