BAE Systems' Countermeasure & Electromagnetic Attack Solutions (CEMA) Business Area has an immediate opening for a Chief Engineer in the Active Protection Solutions Product Line. This position is a key technical leadership role within the product line and requires in-depth knowledge and expertise in one or more of the following domains: design of optical systems for ground vehicle military environments, military product design & development, EO/IR countermeasures, threat countering, gimbals, lasers, MIL-STD-810, ATPD-2404, MIL-STD-461, and AS9145.
You will be responsible for interfacing with the customer for full understanding of mission operations, the derivation of the system architecture, and responsible for developing/managing the overall technical solution. You will lead the development, realization, qualification and delivery of the EO/IR, Laser Warning, and threat warning countermeasure systems to the customer. You will apply BAE Systems' broad technology base and previous background to solve complex projects as the technical leader of a cross-functional, multi-disciplinary product development team. Candidates must be able to clearly understand the mission of the customer, translate them into the right technical solution to meet the customer's needs, and lead the technical solution through the product realization process.
Candidates for this position can expect to work in small and medium size teams of up to 15 engineers. Applicants for this position should have an interest being mentored by the larger community of practice, in mentoring junior level engineering disciplines and serving as the technical conscience for the product. Cultural and behavioral principles are a special part of our systems engineering organization which means we are looking for team players who will support our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Leads the logical and systematic conversion of product requirements into a solution
- Owns the technical solution for the project
- Represents the technical team to internal and external customers
- Identifies and communicates technical risk and opportunities
- Analyzes and models current and emerging EO/IR threats
- Leads system technical planning
- Leads the creation, review and documentation of the system operational and support CONOPs
- Leads in-depth technical engineering research to evaluate alternatives by performing Trade Studies/Analyses including performance, cost, risk, and supportability.
- Leads creation of external and internal interface definitions
- Leads creation of preliminary and critical system designs
- Leads IP identification and protection
- Leads system transition from prototype, through EMD, to production
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- US Citizenship required
- Must possess an Active Secret Clearance
- Bachelor's Degree and 8-15 years related industry experience or equivalent experience
- BS or MS in engineering (or math/physics) is required
- Experienced in EO/IR product development for military applications to include the EO/IR applications for target detection, tracking, identification, and defeat.
- Experience with, and understanding of, the various threats facing military ground vehicles
- Ability to think strategically and formulate strategies to solve rapidly evolving highly challenged technical problems
- Strong technical leadership, project management, and decision making skills
- Excellent written and oral communications
- Proven ability to influence internal leadership and customers with technical expertise and business perspective
- Proven ability to share and transfer technology and know-how across organizational boundaries
- Proven ability to communicate complex technical concepts to a wide range of audiences from engineers to business leaders to customer representatives
- Strong experience with hardware/software systems integration and troubleshooting required
- Strong experience communicating technical requirements to multi-disciplinary engineering team
- Strong experience with MatLab®, Mathcad® or other analysis tools
- Proven ability to understand and apply the results obtained from thermal and structural analysis tools
- Able to demonstrate ability to work both independently and in a team environment
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Master's degree in a technical field such as Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Operations Research, or Computer Science
- Detailed design of laser assemblies or complex optical assemblies for ground vehicles
- Detailed design of motors and controllers
- Experience with Model Based Engineering/Digital Engineering
- Proven track record developing high reliability military ground vehicle products to include the harsh environmental design considerations
- Experience with decomposing/deriving requirements
- Experience in defining technical performance measurements
- Experience implementing AS9145 ‘design-it-right' principles
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it's what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you'll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems' game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Apply on company website