A System Engineer is needed to provide support for adding new capabilities to a complex system with exacting interface, performance, and security requirements. The selected candidate will provide system engineering expertise in one or more of the following areas: architecture, design, development, requirements analysis, data flow, network design/implementation, testing, and documentation for the system. She/he will analyze user requirements, system architecture, and system requirements specifications, and will provide systems engineering expertise and develop system architecture and system design documentation. Responsibilities include supporting and providing guidance for system development and implementation planning through assessment of system engineering plans and system integration and test plans. She/he will support the development of system configuration documentation, including designs for capacity and performance planning and will perform engineering activities, including risk assessments and analyses of alternatives for a variety of system related issues and concerns. She/he will help define task success criteria and test procedures.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities
- The selected candidate will provide guidance and support for system engineering of large-scale systems, major system elements, and interfacing systems that are part of a large complex network environment with geographically distributed components.
- She/he will interface with program management, system and software integration engineers, test engineers, information assurance engineers, and other project team members in an Agile environment.
- She/he will be responsible for implementing system engineering practices to ensure the proper degree of engineering rigor is applied to all assigned tasks.
- The selected individual will be responsible for communicating with and effectively collaborating with internal technical professionals on a day-to-day basis, and with POCs from customer organizations when necessary.
- The systems engineer will actively participate in program increment planning and related agile team activities.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Must have demonstrated experience in one or more of the following areas: system architecture, design, and development, requirements analysis, data flow design/analysis, network design/implementation, testing, technical system documentation.
- Must have experience analyzing user requirements, system architecture, and/or system requirements specifications.
- Must possess an understanding of secure systems engineering and development.
- Must have software development or shell scripting experience.
- Must be comfortable working on multiple systems and components simultaneously in various configurations.
- Must be capable of performing systems engineering activities in support of agile teams.
- Must be committed to adopting and adhering to best practices.
- Must have strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Must be able to effectively plan and prioritize tasking and communicate clearly regarding technical options and trade-offs.
- Must be capable of performing high quality work both independently and with a team in a fast-moving environment.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor's Degree in System Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering Science, Engineering Management, or a related field.
- At least three (3) years of experience designing and developing large integrated systems.
- Past experience using CAMEO a plus.
- Model based systems engineering experience a plus.
- Experience with the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) methodology or as a member of an agile team.
- Experience with technical documentation development.
- Past Behavior Driven Development (BDD) or Test Driven Development (TDD) experience a strong plus.
About BAE Systems Intelligence & Security
BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it's what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you'll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
Intelligence & Security (I&S), based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do—from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.
Apply on company website