Baptist Health strives to cultivate a close-knit, positive and professional environment that encourages our employees to want to come to work every day. When you choose Baptist, you have an opportunity to play a role in providing compassionate, quality care that makes a difference in the lives of our patients and promotes joy throughout our communities.
Baptist Community Health ServicesJOB TITLE: Physical Therapy Assistant DEPARTMENT: Physical Therapy
The Physical Therapist Assistant will implement the plan of treatment as designed by the Physical Therapist. The PTA will perform duties within the scope of his/her department and training. The PTA will complete documentation in the medical record according to the department policies and procedures. He/She will supervise volunteers and students in the clinic as delegated. He/She will provide education to staff, patients, families, and the community as needed. The PTA must intervene appropriately and meet the needs of the patients with impaired mentation, vision, hearing or mobility. Direct patient care is provided to patients from adolescent through adult to the geriatric age group.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The following is a summary of the major functions of this individual's job. He/She may perform other duties, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below, and specific function may change from time to time.
- Carries out the principles of positive customer relations.
- Implements patient care programs as outlined by the physical therapist, using appropriate techniques and modalities to insure quality care as well as safety for each patient.
- Maintains at least weekly communication with supervising therapists for each patient so that treatment plans and changes can be thoroughly discussed.
- Seeks assistance and opinions from appropriate sources regarding patient treatments.
- Requests re-evaluations as appropriate or as patient's condition indicates from the supervising therapist. Reports any adverse reaction by the patient to the therapist.
- Conducts family/patient education sessions and provides home program instruction.
- Supervises support personnel, students, and volunteers as assigned.
- Establishes and maintains good communication with physicians, insurance carriers, attorneys, nurse case managers, and any other health care providers involved in patient treatment in order to relay pertinent information.
- Provides written reports to appropriate personnel involved in patient treatment.
- Completes patient documentation in accordance with departmental policies and procedures. Maintains communication with physicians and other health care professionals. Assists with discharge planning.
- Assists with compiling statistics.
- Attends departmental staff meetings and in-services.
- Assists with coordination and staffing facility and facility sponsored community in-services.
- Prepares in-services to be given to PT staff, other healthcare providers, and the community at large.
- Assists in investigating, organizing, and supervising special programs as outlined by the Director.
- Provides input to Occupational Health clinic personnel and PT director on program development and facility/departmental operations.
Key Accountabilities and Job Standards
Implements Plan of Care
Demonstrates a working knowledge of all modalities and treatment regimes.
Discusses the plan of care with therapist at least weekly or as needed
Reports adverse reactions by the patient to the therapist.
Reads patient chart daily for changes in patient condition.
Informs therapist when re eval is needed.
Progress notes written per treatment.
Discharge summaries complete within 30 days.
Letter written to MD each visit or as appropriate.
Completes patient charges daily.
Objective measurements listed, i.e. ROM, strength.
Documents patient progress and status.
Writes accurate and legible notes for reproduction of treatment protocol.
Report to MD at each MD visit with succinct, relevant information in legible preferably type written format.
Documents patient involvement in treatment.
Assessment addresses goals.
Provides and Develops Patient Education
Educates regarding safety techniques, exercise, and general maintenance issues.
Assists equipment recommendations and makes appropriate referrals as appropriate.
Provides written home program to patient.
Serves as a clinical instructor to affiliating students and assist CI in providing a positive learning experience as opportunity exists, otherwise omit category.
Participates in Performance Improvement Activities
Involved with outcome measures, peer review, quality monitoring, and new employee orientation as requested.
Concentration – Position requires ability to constantly concentrate on fine detail with constant interruption.
Attention Span – Position requires ability to constantly attend task/function for 20-45 minutes at a time, frequently attend to task/function for 45-60 minutes at a time and occasionally attend to a task or function 60 minutes at a time.
Conceptualization – Position requires ability to constantly understand and relate theories behind several related concepts.
Memory – Position requires ability to constantly remember tasks given to self and others for a full shift and frequently remember tasks given to self and others over long periods of time.
Communication – Position requires ability to constantly communicate in written word, using advanced written skills and communicate verbally using advance level vocabulary.
Employees may be constantly exposed to bodily injury; frequently exposed to blood, body tissues, or fluids; occasionally exposed to loud noises, electrical hazards, and burns; seldom exposed to hazardous waste materials other than blood, body tissues, or fluids, high sudden fluctuations in temperature, seasonal conditions in outside weather, toxins, cytotoxins, or poisonous substances, dust, hazardous chemicals, high humidity, and electromagnetic radiation.If you would like to be part of a growing family focused on supporting clinical excellence, teamwork and innovation, we urge you to apply now! Baptist Health is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
Apply on company website