The Director of Legal Affairs, Real Estate is responsible for providing strategic legal advice and assisting with the administration of the Companys Real Estate Department. This role is responsible for providing timely, focused advice and counsel to senior Company Executives.
• Advanced legal knowledge of commercial real estate contracts and management agreements, retail industry experience required.
• Proven experience as an independent, efficient and successful negotiator of commercial agreements.
• Sound judgement and strategic thinking in all legal matters.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to work efficiently, prioritize and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
• Education requirement - Law degree from an accredited law school.
• Minimum of 10 years of work experience in the aggregate, minimum of 5 years of corporate / real-estate experience; mix of law firm and in-house experience required.
• Current member in good standing of the New York State Bar.
• Manage the company's real estate portfolio, addressing issues as they arise and drafting and negotiating applicable attendant documents (SNDAs, guaranties, letters of credit, estoppel letters, amendments).
• Act as lead legal liaison to the real estate department. Provide guidance to the real estate and facilities teams, answering questions and making recommendations for best practices and processes.
• Provide support for commercial real estate sale, lease and finance matters through contract review, drafting and negotiation, and legal research, in jurisdictions across the country and internationally.
• Navigate complex real estate deal structures, advising the company on legal and, where applicable, tax risks.
• Provide counsel for all aspects of real estate pre-litigation and pending litigation matters.
• Develop, maintain and improve Barnes & Noble real estate agreement standards and template forms. Establish systems to ensure company compliance with real estate contract requirements and applicable laws.
• Act as subject matter expert, providing counsel to other internal departments regarding the Barnes & Noble portfolio of leases and management contracts.
• Support the EVP, Group Development and Real Estate as needed in a variety of matters that come before the company on a regular basis.
• Manage and advise applicable teams within the real estate department on all matters pertaining to the Barnes & Noble real estate portfolio.
Apply on company website