The Maintenance Helper performs maintenance job duties including but not limited to changing batteries in forklifts, lubricating and cleaning equipment, moving items in warehouse and offices, assembling furniture and fixtures, general carpentry & repairs, painting, clearing jams. In this position you may make minor repairs that may include using hand and power tools, including clearing clogs with drain cleaning equipment. The Maintenance Helper (B) must be able to work independently and with team members as needed.
• 6 months or more of experience in a warehouse or distribution center environment preferred.
• Must have excellent attendance and punctuality.
• Willingness and ability to learn new skills and take training classes up to and including adult vocational and technical classes.
• Must have or be willing to obtain basic hand tools that will be used daily.
• Continuous body movement required with the ability to stand, sit or crouch for long periods of time, must be willing and able to climb stairs and ladders, work on lifts at heights to 45' and in uncomfortable positions. Must have the ability to lift, push and pull a minimum of 50 lbs. alone and 100 lbs. with help. Must be willing and able to work in all weather conditions.
• Report all safety, security and work progress issues to Maintenance Supervisor.
• Change batteries as well as check and add water to industrial batteries in powered equipment.
• Clear jams and makes repairs and adjustments to material handling equipment and facilities equipment as directed by the Maintenance Supervisor, Control Room Operator or Operations Supervisors. Complete assigned tasks efficiently and according to company and safety policies.
• Operate powered equipment including Forklifts, Floor scrubbers, Sweepers, scissor lifts and powered carts.
• Transport supplies furniture and equipment through the facility including assembly and setup as assigned.
• Painting and mounting of pictures, shelves and dispensers, changing ceiling tiles and light bulbs.
• Clear clogs and repairs or replace faucets and fixtures in restrooms.
• Performs cleanup work and other tasks including organizing and inventory of supplies as assigned.
• May be exposed to cleaning and lubrication chemicals, hot and cold weather conditions and moving mechanical equipment.
• Performs preventative maintenance inspections (PMI) including cleaning, lubricating and checking fluid levels on equipment and replace parts on equipment as assigned.
• Take readings from gauges and record them and update maintenance logs on equipment repairs.
• Work at heights to 45' above floor level using step ladders, rolling ladders, stairways and scissor lifts.
• Shovel snow and apply salt to walkways and driveways.
• Frequent walking, standing, stooping, kneeling, working underneath low profiles, and climbing stairs and ladders is required along with manual dexterity needed to complete daily tasks.
• Must have the ability and willingness to work overtime as necessary to support 24 x 7 operation and emergency situations. Overtime will be scheduled based on business needs as determined by management.
• Must be reliable and responsible and have excellent attendance.
• Ability to communicate verbally and in writing including understanding and following directions in English, and must be able to fill out daily shift reports. Responds to requests promptly and appropriately.
• Must have general mechanical ability and mechanical aptitude and learning ability as it pertains to maintenance and repair.
• Entry level maintenance knowledge and the ability to learn the terminology of components, hardware, repair parts and ability to learn and demonstrate proper use of lifts & basic hand and power tools.
• Must be comfortable working around machinery, chemicals, and lubricants and at heights up to 45'.
• Must pass written and practical tests on electric pallet jack and counter balanced forklifts.
• Must participate in required training such as Lockout / Tag out, SDS Materials handling.
Apply on company website