Nurse Practitioner / Instructor
BCM Posting Number:
BCM Department: Pediatrics
Subsection: Critical Care
Location: West Campus (Katy)
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Employment Duration: Full-time
Category: Nurse Practitioner
This position offers a unique experience in our community pediatric intensive care units, for an individual who wishes to pursue a career in pediatric intensive care. The section of Critical Care Medicine in the Department of Pediatrics is a multidisciplinary team of attending critical care physicians, advanced practice providers (nurse practitioners/physician assistants), committed to the care of patients suffering from a life-threatening illness or injury. The primary clinical site is at Texas Children's West Campus, an extension of the largest pediatric hospital in the United States, and an affiliated hospital of Baylor College of Medicine. Currently, the critical care intensive care units in the community have capacity for 22 patients. The NP/Instructor will work alongside Faculty colleagues, advanced practice providers, and occasionally pediatric residents in the care of children with chronic and acute illness requiring intensive care in the PICU. At present, the west campus PICU has approximately 1000 admissions per year, with an increasing number requiring assisted ventilation or other advanced support, such as oscillatory ventilation, nitric oxide administration or cardiovascular pressor support. The community ICU also provides care for children who require long-term technology support, those with residual PICU morbidities requiring transition to home, and the management of children who require more intensive medical support.
- Day-to-day care of children with acute and chronic illness requiring critical care.
- Active role in education of trainees when present.
- Participation in on-call schedule for the pediatric intensive care unit.
- Liaison and collaboration with stakeholders and consult throughout the community hospital.
- Procedures as needed to diagnose and treat critically ill children
- Responder for the Rapid Response Team
- Required: Master's degree in Nursing for pediatric nurse practitioner acute care (PNP/AC)
- Required: Current license as a registered Nurse and Nurse Practitioner by the Board of Nurse Examiners for the State of Texas
- Required: Current Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Required: Current Pediatric Advance Life Support (PALS)
Apply on company website