This veterinary technician will support the animal health monitoring program by verifying the health status of existing animals and facilitating the import and quarantine of animals entering the colony. This involves diagnostic samples collection for pathogen testing, submission of samples to diagnostic laboratories, and collecting/recording associated data. This position supports the college's health surveillance veterinarian.
As needed, this position will also support the delivery of clinical care in the college's large multi-species animal care program by providing day-to-day evaluation and treatment for common clinical conditions, engaging with veterinarians and other staff to address health concerns, maintaining animal health and treatment records, and providing technical services.Job Duties
- Performs veterinary procedures such as, but not limited to, blood collection, parenteral and oral administration of materials, animal restraint, anesthesia, tissue collection.
- Identifies and clearly communicates all health problems to veterinarians in oral or written form, maintains complete animal health records.
- Assists in veterinary clinical rounds as needed.
- Collects scheduled animal and environmental samples.
- Submits and tracks diagnostic samples, keeps detailed and complete records and reports results to health surveillance veterinarian.
- Coordinates the placement of sentinel animals and tracks their location, interfaces with facility managers.
- Receives incoming animal shipments, ensures appropriate housing location, and coordinates downstream processes including breeding colony management.
- Verifies the health status of incoming animals via quarantine and diagnostic testing.
- Associate's degree in a related field. Two years of related experience may substitute for degree requirement.
- Certified Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS). Certification must be obtained within six months of hire or promotion.
- One year of relevant experience.
- Licensed Veterinary Technician (LVT).
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
Apply on company website