Job ID R4652 Full / Part Time:Part time
Full / Part Time:Part time
This position is 32 hours per week, day shift, located in Greenfield, MA.Summary:
Performs a variety of clinical and technical procedures under the direction of a Registered Nurse
1) Maintains safe operations of designated equipment and instruments. Inspects and evaluates safety of equipment and instruments prior to use in accordance with established policy and procedure. Removes faulty equipment/instrumentation from patient care area, labels with appropriate documentation. Communicates equipment difficulties to team leader/charge nurse. Demonstrates knowledge of safe handling practices of delicate instrumentation as measured by lack of broken items noted on associated cases.
2) Maintains appropriate PAR levels of designated supplies. Monitors levels of supplies in O.R. rooms and restocks as necessary. Inspects sterility dates and rotates stock in O.R. rooms and on specialty carts to ensure lack of waste due to outdate. Assists in maintaining contents in instrument trays, as defined by the needs of the unit or specialty i.e.; provides feedback to service coordinator--physician instrument needs-physician preference card revisions. Demonstrates responsible and cost-conscious use of supplies and resources. Possesses the knowledge and skills necessary to function in several specialties.
3) Maintains an environment conducive to safe and aseptic patient care. Establishes and monitors the sterile field and team by following policies and procedures related to aseptic technique. Informs Clinical Nurse Leader of conditions requiring action to ensure safety, sterility, and infection control as they arise (by completion of work shift).
4) Promotes quality/appropriate patient care within defined limits. Assist with reviewing supplies/instrumentation/ equipment needed for procedure. Reviews physician preference card to ensure completeness of case preparation. Assists surgeon by anticipating needs and following instruction regarding equipment. Maintains safe practice with regard to sharps according to policy. Performs sponge/sharp/instrument counts with RN according to policy. Assists RN with surgical specimen handling according to policy evidenced by lack of incident related to specimen mishandling/mislabeling. Loads case cart according to procedure demonstrating awareness of proper care of instruments as evidenced by lack of instrument breakage. Immediately informs circulating nurse of any conditions which may negatively impact patient care.
5) Maintains attitude and work practices consistent with team goals and positive service responsive relationships. Assists with teaching and orientation of students and new employees. Displays positive/professional attitudes to physician contracts. Consistently displays positive team approach when dealing with peers/colleagues/patient population. Possesses the ability to adjust to sudden change/emergent situations. Shows independent initiative in completing work assignments. Contributes to the goals/mission of the unit on a consistent basis.
6) Participates in staff staff development and education activities. Completes all mandatory in-service updates on an annual basis as evidenced by attendance rosters. Attends in-services on a regular basis or reviews in-service minutes. Collaborates with Peers to provide educational programs. Independently seeks educational programs for CEU's, certification, advanced degree, etc. Member of unit/hospital committee. Member of Professional Organization.
7) Provides age-appropriate care of patients. Demonstrates knowledge of developmental stages for the following age groups and applies theories and concepts when planning and implementing care for patients.Required Work Experience:
1) Demonstrated progress towards completion of college requirements, Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology Completed course in Medical TerminologyPreferred Work Experience:
1) Certification and or 1 year of surgical technologist experience preferredSkills and Competencies:
1) Completes mandatory unit and hospital wide in-services and requirements
Education:GED or HiSET (Required)
Certifications:Basic Life Support - American Heart Association, Certified Surgical Technician - Other
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Apply on company website