Information About this Position
- 10:30 pm - 7:00 am
- Weekend and holiday rotation
- $750 Sign-On Bonus
Company and Job Overview
BJC HealthCare is one of the largest nonprofit health care organizations in the United States, delivering services to residents primarily in the greater St. Louis, southern Illinois and southeast Missouri regions. With net revenues of $5.5 billion and more than 30,000 employees, BJC serves patients and their families in urban, suburban and rural communities through its 15 hospitals and multiple community health locations. Services include inpatient and outpatient care, primary care, community health and wellness, workplace health, home health, community mental health, rehabilitation, long-term care and hospice.
BJC is the largest provider of charity care, unreimbursed care and community benefits in the state of Missouri. BJC and its hospitals and health service organizations provide $785.9 million annually in community benefit. That includes $410.6 million in charity care and other financial assistance to patients to ensure medical care regardless of their ability to pay. In addition, BJC provides additional community benefits through commitments to research, emergency preparedness, regional health care safety net services, health literacy, community outreach and community health programs and regional economic development.
BJC's patients have access to the latest advances in medical science and technology through a formal affiliation between Barnes-Jewish Hospital and St. Louis Children's Hospital with the renowned Washington University School of Medicine, which consistently ranks among the top medical schools in the country.
The Patient Access Representative is often the first point of contact for our patients and therefore must represent BJC with the highest standard of customer service, compassion and perform all duties in a manner consistent with our mission, vision, values, and BJC service standards. The Patient Access Representative will facilitate all components of the patients' entrance into any BJC facility. This position will require a high level of emotional intelligence, professionalism and ability to make a personal connection. The patient experiences vary broadly based on their medical needs and acuity. This position highly impacts the ability to maximize the level of reimbursements and prevention of denials by accurate collection of demographics and insurance information, benefit verification and point of service collection. Selecting the correct patient from the master person index (MPI) is critical to patient safety. This team member must possess a friendly demeanor, exceptional attention to detail and maintain knowledge and competence with insurance carriers, Medicare guidelines as well as federal, state, and accreditation agencies.
- Utilize critical thinking skills to problem solve a variety of situations, anticipating patients' needs and being able to respond to them. Communicate in a professional, positive, and patient-focused manner with all patients, families, and co-workers whether in-person, over the computer or by phone. This responsibility is critical to ensure positive patient experience, maximize reimbursements, and minimize denials and avoidable write-offs, and ensuring that we are maintaining the integrity of the patients clinical, financial, and billing record by correctly selecting the precise Master Patient Index (MPI).
- The responsibilities of this position include hospital registration and scheduling within multiple BJC systems. Assures proper patient identification, registers, schedules, verifies insurance, scans and retrieves documents within multiple BJC systems. Validates that the order is complete, signed by the ordering provider, and the correct test is ordered. The attention to detail is essential to ensure accurate patient records.
Strong communication skills are necessary in order to provide the patient with preparation instructions for each scheduled procedure, education on financial responsibilities and collection of applicable patient payments.
- In order to comply with complex regulatory guidelines, must be able to understand, articulate and enforce hospital compliance with Medicare Secondary Payer (MSP), HIPAA Privacy Standards, Patient Bill of Rights and Responsibilities, Advance Directives, Consent to Treat, EMTALA, JCAHO Requirements. Each patient completes HIPAA acknowledgement.
- BJC has determined this is a safety-sensitive position. The ability to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner is an essential function of this job.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associate's Degree
- <2 years experience
- CHAA (Certified Healthcare Access Associate) certification
Note: not all benefits apply to all openings
- Comprehensive medical, dental, life insurance, and disability plan options
- Pension Plan*/403(b) Plan
- 401(k) plan
- Tuition Assistance
- Health Care and Dependent Care Reimbursement Accounts
- On-Site Fitness Center (depending on location)
- Paid Time Off Program for vacation, holiday and sick time
*Pension does not apply to Memorial Hospital, Memorial Hospital East, Alton Memorial or Parkland Health Center
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply on company website