Information About this Position
- 24 hours per week
- Shift - Tues 4:30p-9:30p, Wed 4:30p-8:30p, Thurs 4:30p-7:30p, Fri 5:30p-9:30p rotating weekends Sat 10a-6p
Company and Job Overview
BJC Medical Group is the multi-specialty physician organization of BJC HealthCare and includes over 600 doctors and advanced practice providers who are affiliated with the top-ranked hospitals in the area.
Since 1994, BJC Medical Group has provided access to the world's best medicine through caring people and integrated systems. The providers are nationally recognized for excellent patient satisfaction and quality health care.
BJC Medical Group physicians are trained and certified in over 25 medical specialties and serve patients in more than 125 locations in the greater St. Louis, mid-Missouri and southern Illinois areas.
The Communications Specialist (MEDGRP) is responsible for answering a high volume of inbound calls and other customer communications within the BJC Medical Group. This position serves as a liaison between the patients, healthcare facilities, physicians, and practices to facilitate patients' healthcare needs, and escalates priority needs to clinical staff. This position also utilizes an electronic health record to ensure accurate and complete information is shared, contributing to the coordination of outpatient care.
- Maintains accountability for accurate data entry in the electronic health record and maintains patient privacy and security as outlined by HIPAA.
- Schedules patient visits; works multiple points of the service area; verifies insurance, checks insurance eligibility, and collects patient demographics; maintains proficiency in insurance basics, to include the ability to recognize commercial and government plans.
- Works closely with clinical team to address patient symptom-based calls; helps facilitate medication refills, researches complex issues in the patient chart; consults with and educates customers to achieve beneficial outcomes for their healthcare needs.
- Manages high volume of incoming calls from patients and healthcare facilities who are calling in for a variety of reasons, including to obtain referrals, prior authorizations, schedule appointments, refill medications, and report symptoms, and routing messages and resolving issues when possible.
- Communicates in a professional, positive and respectful manner with patients and offices; provides excellent and consistent customer service in a variety of situations.
- High School Diploma or GED
- 2-5 years of experience
- Associate's Degree
Note: not all benefits apply to all openings
- Comprehensive medical, dental, life insurance, and disability plan options
- Pension Plan*/403(b) Plan
- 401(k) plan
- Tuition Assistance
- Health Care and Dependent Care Reimbursement Accounts
- On-Site Fitness Center (depending on location)
- Paid Time Off Program for vacation, holiday and sick time
*Pension does not apply to Memorial Hospital, Memorial Hospital East, Alton Memorial or Parkland Health Center
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply on company website