Company: Bonduelle Fresh Americas
Location: Covina, CA
Career Level: Mid-Senior Level
Industries: Recruitment Agency, Staffing, Job Board
Operations leadership experience, proven strong people skills, and a continuous improvement mindset. If this describes you, this position offers you some very compelling opportunities. You will:
- Make an impact serving as a subject matter expert in lean manufacturing as we transform into a high-learning organization.
- Expand your experience in multiple areas -- we produce salads, bistro bowls and snacks for both retail and foodservice customers.
- Oversee 90% to 95% of operations, including 900 to 1100 employees, at one of the largest produce facilities in the Los Angeles area at 400,000 square feet, including 24 production lines, shipping & receiving, a microbiology lab, and more. Quick question for you - click here
- Serve as the "right hand" to the Plant Director in this critical role.
- Showcase your leadership and people skills, as well as your ability to take on new responsibilities and advance in our organization. Some opportunities may require relocation.
Pictured: Our processing facilities apply the latest global standards of food safety and quality. Using the latest technology and equipment, our goal is to ensure we only offer the highest quality products. To be a good fit for the Operations Manager opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in Business, Engineering, or another related discipline. Quick question for you - click here
- Demonstrated thorough knowledge of operations management principles and practices.
- 7+ years' experience in manufacturing environments, preferably including food processing.
- 5 years of progressive leadership experience in manufacturing environments.
- Proven strong people and leadership skills, including the ability to interact effectively with people at all levels of the organization.
- Knowledge of principles and practices in:
- Project management.
- Business and management.
- Lean manufacturing.
- Experience with both manual and automated production processes.
- The ability to communicate cross-culturally; bilingual skills in English and Spanish are a plus.
- A proven track record of results with a bias for action.
- A passion for learning and a craving to work in a fun culture.
- Implementing Six Sigma and DMAIC principles and practices.
- Leading teams leads in initiatives regarding processing, storing, and shipping, ideally with food products.
- Approving plant payroll and payments for departmental materials or product purchases.
- Establishing procedures for maintaining high standards of manufacturing operations, product quality, reliability and safety.
- Being responsible for operational efficiencies to include yields, labor, shipping/picking efficiencies, and sanitation scores.
- Working through functional groups to enforce productivity, quality and safety requirements in accordance with company needs.
- Continuous improvement (CI), ideally including evaluating and developing improved techniques for the control of operations, quality, reliability and safety.
- Being directly responsible for implementation and maintenance of the company operations procedures, reporting on the performance and initiating improvements for operations.
- Organizing, coordinating and overseeing all production staff and activities.
- Developing and implementing a high learning team organization.
- Acting as a liaison with external parties on matters relating to the procurement of services and materials for the company's products.
Pictured: Our Ready Snax® Snack Packs are the perfect snack solution at work, after school or anywhere on-the-go. Each of the nine varieties was created to curb your hunger and provide you with a boost of vitamins, all with fewer than 250 calories. You will own the operations, maintenance, facilities and utilities function tasks, including planning, organizing, directing and controlling the operation activities for the operations, maintenance, and utilities departments. This will include ensuring all food preparation and packaging is compliant to the guidelines of good manufacturing practices and food safety regulations. In addition, you'll oversee and monitor the performance of the Plant Operations as it relates to quality, safety, productivity (first pass production rate), equipment reliability and cost control, service to sales, employee training and leadership development.
Reporting to you will be two Production Managers and a Maintenance Manager. As you get up to know our operations, you should expect to spend up to 90% of your time on the floor -- and once up to speed we'll expect you to be on the floor 50% to 60% of the time. The balance of your time will go to planning, administration, and managing Lean, TPM and capital projects.
More specifically, you will:
- Adhere to Bonduelle Fresh America's (BFA) quality standards to ensure product quality and food safety by following good manufacturing practices (GMPs), standard operating procedures (SOPs) and BFA specifications.
- Organize and facilitate production line activities to ensure conformance to establish requirements regarding quality, safety, employee relations, productivity and cost scheduled volume outputs.
- Organize and facilitate maintenance activities to ensure conformance to establish requirements regarding quality, safety, employee relations, productivity and cost scheduled volume outputs.
- Organize and facilitate utilities activities to ensure conformance to establish requirements regarding quality, safety, employee relations, productivity and cost scheduled volume outputs.
- Work with Product Development, suppliers, Engineering, Quality, and factory employees in finding innovative ways to improve quality and productivity.
- Support employee involvement in safety, analytical problem solving, project planning, and vendor and customer relations, fostering a team atmosphere.
- Monitor and update all area practices and policies for compliance.
- Work with Product Supply Group in weekly scheduling of the packaging and processing area to optimize productivity.
- Monitor productivity data and help develop corrective action plans necessary to achieve annual productivity improvements.
- Implement safety measures for accident prevention through monthly departmental safety meetings and working with salaried supervisors to ensure hourly employee compliance.
- Report on quality defect issues and help determine necessary corrective actions to eliminate repetitive failures.
- Assist with the supervision of the production staff including, but not limited to, performance management, employee development, etc.
- Participate in the safe quality food (SQF) audit and assist in the development of procedures and corrective actions.
- Oversee and lead the implementation of the SQF system and operational standards, as outlined in the plant accountability list.
- Provide daily reports with root causes that are considered waste related items impacting plant overall cost.
This role offers you many ways to expand the skills we look for when promotional opportunities arise. You will:
- Support strategic planning and partner with the Safety Manager, Quality Manger and another Operations Manager in cross-functional initiatives.
- Play an important role as we become a high-learning organization, including cross-training.
- Interact with the FDA.
- Step in for the Director in his absence.
"Giving people the freedom to eat healthier" has a deeper meaning for us. We believe in responsible business practices that benefit our associates, consumers and communities. Every consumer should have access to fresh, healthy and convenient choices and every one of our products is made with responsibly-sourced ingredients, by individuals who are treated ethically and with respect every day.
Be The Difference
The Ready Pac Difference is our identity. It defines the value we create that fuels our growth in order to be the most innovative fresh food company. It also defines the culture we create that enables our success and gives us the freedom to invest in our people, our business, and ultimately our consumers. The values defined in The Difference support our ability to give our Associates the freedom to drive results, learn and have fun.
We are passionate about promoting sustainable agriculture, reducing our environmental impact, encouraging all employees to drive a culture of corporate social responsibility (CSR), feeding people well and feeding them sustainably, and promoting the well-being of our employees and communities. See the video for more information.
Our culture values teamwork and collaboration, and we are proactive about maintaining an atmosphere that is positive and motivating. We encourage and reward engagement, such as identifying potential safety or quality issues.
In addition to a competitive wage and shift differential, we offer healthcare benefits to all associates after 30 days of employment, a 401(k) plan after 60 days, a tuition It should be clear by now that interpersonal and leadership abilities are essential in this role. As you would expect, you'll need to provide clear expectations and hold people accountable, but you also should establish yourself as a go-to resource. This will require that you are able to adapt your communication style to different personalities. Not only will you have regular communication platforms, such as meetings with various groups, but you also can expect to be stopped, out on the floor, to answer a question or listen to an idea.
A large percentage of our employees speak Spanish and, if you aren't bilingual, you will need to be creative in coming up with ways to communicate effectively with non-English speakers. Of course others can translate for you, but you'll need to ensure that important intangibles like engagement and motivation don't get lost in translation.
Some people are surprised at the fast pace of our operations -- working with fresh produce requires agility and a strong sense of urgency. In addition, in order to be an outstanding Operations Manager, you will:
- Promote both safety and continuous improvement as core aspects of your team's culture.
- Model, for your people, a strong sense of ownership and accountability.
- "Own" and communicate the big picture, but also pay attention to detail.
- Bring strong initiative and a results orientation.
- Manage a large array of activities and priorities, remaining calm and solutions-focused.
- Help your team embrace change.
Apply on company website