The Director of Residential Dining oversees the operation of Brown Dining Services 2 All-You-Care-To-Eat dining facilities serving over 5,000 meals per day. This position directly oversees the Assistant Director of Residential Dining and indirectly oversees the residential dining supervisor team, approximately 100 union staff, and a host of student employees, temporary employee, and college interns. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading and directing the front-of-the-house residential dining team to ensure the highest level of professionalism and quality of food and service, while managing budgetary requirements and fostering a cohesive team environment that is committed to the continual enhancement of program offerings and customer satisfaction. This position will work closely with the Director of Finance to assist in meeting financial targets and key performance indicators (KPI). As a member of the Brown Dining Services Leadership team, this position will work closely with the Executive Chef and other Directors to ensure the department values are met. This position will report directly to the Vice President of Dining Programs.
Major Responsibilities are but not limited to:
- Play a lead role in defining the overall direction of the Residential Dining department.
- Represent Residential Dining within Brown Dining Services and Brown University at department meetings
- Supervise and provide support to Residential managers.
- Assist in developing and maintaining a strong and effective team by promoting trust, respect and collaboration.
- Conduct ongoing assessment of optimal staffing requirements and adjusting staffing plans as needed.
- Schedule, direct and evaluate managers with Assistant Director.
- Assist in developing training programs and training manuals for each of the perspective areas and participate in training of the Residential hourly staff.
- Work with Dining Services HR in the hiring of supervisor staff
- Play a leadership role in assuring quality product and service, and customer satisfaction.
- Participate in development of layout, design, and menu development of new Residential concepts in the Main Dining Room unit.
- Collaborate with the Assistant Directors of Culinary in Sharpe Refectory, Ivy Room and Verney-Woolley for the development of new menu concepts and offerings for this division.
- Research new developments in hospitality to influence the service provided to our customers
- Work with Assistant Director of Residential Dining and Supervisors to ensure employees are compliant with OSHA and EHS required trainings
- Acts as the primary public relations liaison to client base
- Active member of Dining Council
- Participates in menu meetings
- Provides guidance to supervisors and managers with special meal planning
- Collaborate with the Outreach and Communications Manager on marketing strategy and goals for Residential Dining
- Develop customer surveys
- Work directly with the Systems Support Coordinator and Director of Information Technology on all systems support issues
- Triage basic issues related to Point-of-Sale (POS) equipment
- Triage basic issues related to meal plan swipes equipment
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree and/or a degree from an accredited culinary school or program, or equivalent combination of education and culinary experience.
- 5-7 years' experience in food service management with progressively increasing levels of responsibility. (Experience in a college/university dining or union environment preferred. Culinary experience a plu.)
- RI Food Safety Certification is required; willingness to obtain within one year of hire
- Experience with time tracking system such as Workday preferred, but not required
- Experience with Point-of-Sale systems such as Agilysys preferred, but not required
- Experience with menu and recipe management systems such as Jamix preferred, but not required
- Experience with meal plan systems such as Atrium preferred, but not required
- Working knowledge of MS Office suite including Word and Excel
- Possesses general hospitality knowledge and interest in sustainability and sustainable food practices
- Possesses a willingness and ability to support and promote a diverse and inclusive campus community
- Has the ability to operate Web based ordering systems, process customer requests, changes to orders, menu updates and client profiles.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Demonstrated effective communication, leadership, conflict resolution and training skills.
- Demonstrated ability to adhere to budgetary guidelines.
- Ability to prioritize, problem-solve, and work independently.
- Ability to work as an integral member of a management team.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which may include early mornings, evenings, and weekends.
Physical Qualifications include but not limited to:
- Requires ability to read
- Requires moving around campus
- Requires frequent standing, sitting, walking; using hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reaching with hands and arms; climbing stairs; hearing; talking
- Requires frequently moving around about inside the office to access printer, files, and other materials/equipment
- Operates a computer and other office equipment
- Typically lift 20 to 50 pounds
- Careful use of chemicals
This position is not eligible for remote or hybrid status. It is on-site status only.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a background and education check satisfactory to Brown University.
Recruiting Start Date:2023-01-13-08:00
Job Posting Title:Director of Residential Dining
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
In order to maintain 90% or greater universal vaccination rates on campus, all newly hired employees at Brown University must receive the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine before they begin work, unless they are approved for a medical or religious exemption. All employees must also receive a COVID-19 booster within thirty (30) days of becoming eligible. For more information, please visit the Healthy Brown site.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person's race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our University policies.
Apply on company website