PRN, 1st Shift, Flaget Memorial Hospital Job Summary / Purpose
Responsible for centralized compounding work using safe IV room practices, large volume end-product batching (IVPB, syringes, etc.), compounding total parenteral nutrition (TPN) and peripheral parenteral nutrition (PPN), and end-product quality assurance. Oversees Pyxis console. Performs the manual technical tasks involved with the proper storage, distribution, packaging and labeling of drugs, associated record keeping and patient charging systems. Works under the supervision of a Registered Pharmacist. Follows proper procedures for the operation of equipment and use of supplies. Maintains and coordinates systems to ensure that pharmacy operations run efficiently on a day-to-day basis.Essential Key Job Responsibilities
1. Assists pharmacist in providing pharmaceutical care to include (but not limited to):
2. Preparing, filling and distributing medication
3. Screening phone calls/orders and alerting the pharmacist to patient-specific data indicating
4. Pre-packages tablets, capsules and liquids into single-dose units. Prepares labels with medication name, strength, lot number and expiration date.
5. Obtains narcotics from Pyxis vault. Prepares narcotics for rounds and files required paperwork. Participates daily in narcotic audits on the units.
6. Oversees and troubleshoots Pyxis console
7. Communicates changes to pharmacy staff
8. Serves as liaison between Pyxis and Pharmacy
9. Manages Pyxis security, adding and deleting users
10. Trains staff on system changes and upgrades
11. Notifies vendor/CHI of system problems
12. Maintains adequate levels of stock drugs in Pyxis dispensing system on nursing units
13. Prepare IV medications under the supervision of the pharmacist
14. Prepares IV admixtures, TPNs, chemotherapy IVs, IV piggybacks, and syringes.
15. Utilizes aseptic technique in the preparation of all sterile products.
16. Performs end-product testing quality assurance
17. Documents completed work by initialing all labels/logs/etc as required.
18. Completes IV room re-certification process by assigned deadline.
19. Cleans and documents as assigned.
20. Credits to the patient and restock usable IVs returned to the inpatient pharmacy.
21. Inventories and orders selected supplies.
22. Follows the ordering/restocking system to stock/restock IV room medications and supplies.
23. Prepares and appropriately labels stock sterile products.
24. Coordinates the supply of investigational products.
25. Repackages and labels bulk oral solid and liquid drugs into unit-dose form under pharmacist supervision. Reconstitutes drugs and prepares compounds under pharmacist supervision.
26. Delivers medications, IV's and controlled substances on a daily basis to replenish inventory levels. Requires interpretation and judgment to assure accurate and practical inventory levels.
27. Performs monthly patient care area inspections and reports as assigned by the manager.
28. Completes charges/credits daily for billing.
29. Checks and restocks patient care and special care stock supplies (i.e. emergency drugs to crash carts and heart carts) under pharmacist supervision.
30. Performs duties in documented accordance with requirements of all regulatory and governing bodies. Mandatory education from a system and department level is completed.
31. Maintains work areas and equipment/utensils in a neat, clean, and orderly appearance.
32. Performs other duties as assigned by management.
33. Safe handling/disposal / packaging for Transport of Pharmaceutical Waste/ Hazardous Materials/Bio- Hazardous Regulated Medical Waste. 1) Completes the Resource Conservation Recovery Act (RCRA) and Hazardous Waste education during employee orientation. 2) Tri –annually education for the D.O.T training. 3) is knowledgeable of the process for identifying the proper waste stream and uses the appropriate container to dispose of waste. 4) Knowledgeable regarding the process to contact the emergency response coordinator for hazardous waste/pharmaceutical release/spill clean-up.
34. Other Duties as assigned by management.
High School Diploma/GED
Required Licensure and Certifications
Registered as pharmacy technician with the State Board of Pharmacy Examiners. PTCB certification or Intern registration with the Kentucky Board of Pharmacy.
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Knowledge of the standards, techniques and tools relating to pharmaceutical patient care.
Knowledge of the regulatory requirements applicable to pharmaceutical patient care.
Knowledge of the standards, procedures and tools relating to an automated medication distribution system.
Ability to mix oral powders and compounded drugs and to prepare intravenous admixture and other parental drugs.
Ability to understand and use/apply I.V. admixture, automated distribution systems, outpatient services and decentralized pharmacy services.
Knowledge of mathematical functions, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, basic algebra and calculations.
Knowledge of the sources and availability of medications, bio-technology products, pharmaceutical supplies and equipment and related items.
Ability to understand and apply standards, procedures and techniques to the work assignment.
Ability to identify and resolve discrepancies in a timely and effective manner.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as required by the duties of the position.
Adequate conversational English is required in order that the individual be able to take direction from management, understand how to complete job tasks, communicate adequately with patients and co-workers as necessary, understand and follow safety guidelines, and organizational policies.
Ability to use office equipment and automated systems/applications/ software at an acceptable level.
One year pharmacy tech experience preferredAdditional Information
- Requisition ID: 2019-R0244143
- Schedule: Part-time
- Shift: Day Job
- Market: CHI Saint Joseph Health
Apply on company website