Supports the professional clinical staff by providing direct patient care and performing studies and tests as assigned. These duties may vary by shift or may be unit-specific. The Patient Care Technician is responsible for providing care for patients of diverse ages. Works rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays as scheduled.
· Delivers assigned patient care and treatment as delegated by an RN or LPN.
· Performs or assists patients with activities including personal hygiene, bathing, ambulation, transporting, range of motion exercises, dressing/undressing, feeding, changing bandages, elimination needs, and emptying drainage devices.
· Responds to patient calls and anticipates patient needs. Assures patient safety and comfort through use of safe patient handling techniques, regular rounding, environmental maintenance, equipment maintenance, and other appropriate safety measures.
· Calculates intake and output (excluding IVs). Measures vital signs. Performs bedside blood glucose testing. Makes entries to patient health records as consistent with scope of job duties and in compliance with company policy.
· Initiates or assists with emergency support measures (i.e., cardiopulmonary resuscitation, protecting patient from injury).
· Performs post-mortem care.
· Sets up equipment and supplies for procedures. Prepares patients and rooms for procedures, admissions, and transfers. Discharges patients from system.
· Observes and reports information regarding any change in physical/mental condition, behavior, or status of the patient to the nurse.
· Collects and labels specimens.
· Sets up, operates, and maintains selected pieces of equipment.
· Practices effective communication skills in answering phones and utilizing communication systems.
· Provides administrative support as assigned.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the essential functions of the job as identified but should not be considered a detailed description of all work requirements that may be needed to perform the duties of this position. Must have ability to maintain skills and perform tasks required for the position as outlined in the list of department competencies.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
· Completion of 75-hour, 120-hour or 150-hour Certified Nursing Assistant program OR be listed as having passed CNA competency testing on the Iowa Direct Care Worker registry.
· Graduate of an accredited RN or LPN program may be substituted for completion of CNA program and CNA Registry.
· High School diploma or GED.
· Must be 18 years of age.
· Proof of completion of Mandatory Reporter – Child and/or Dependent Adult Abuse training within three (3) months of hire.
· BLS certified within six (6) weeks of hire. Acceptable credentialing bodies and certifications include American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers.
- Requisition ID: 2019-R0258545
- Schedule: Part-time
- Market: Mercy Medical Center
Apply on company website