Our Pet Segment is searching for a QC Scientist in our Dallas, TX location. The QC Scientist provides analytical support for existing products and new registrations by obtaining results through analytical testing. Maintains and operates laboratory instruments and equipment. Assists senior chemists in performing analyses and routine tests. Maintains laboratory facilities in an orderly and functional condition.
Measures of Success
- Performs analyses that are specified by supervisor or as outlined in established instructions or procedures. Generates analytical data using classical and instrumental methods in support of Operations and other corporate activities. Work is subject to regular guidance and review by the supervisor or senior staff.
- Maintains, calibrates, and operates complex laboratory instrumentation such as High-Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), Gas Chromatography (GC), and Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR) and other related equipment used for advanced chemical analysis. Maintains, calibrates, and operates densitometers, Karl Fisher titrators, Acid/Base titrators and other analytical laboratory equipment.
- Performs physical and chemical measurements including, density, color, physical state, corrosivity, pH, viscosity, and weight loss. Prepares the summary reports for analytical data. Prepares certificates of analysis, as needed.
- Maintains proficiency in USA Good Laboratory Practices and current Good Manufacturing Practices. Surveys the literature to keep abreast of new developments in analytical methodologies and techniques.
- Maintains assigned analytical equipment and is responsible for ensuring repairs are timely and logged correctly. Monitors weekly the operation of the assigned equipment. Ensures the equipment is maintained and/or repaired either by oneself or by scheduling a repair specialist. These responsibilities ensure the laboratory and associated testing are compliant with regulations and ensure maintenance of ISO certification.
- Competence in mathematics is of considerable importance. Algebraic calculations are routinely involved. Results must be exact and free of error. An understanding of statistical analysis, appropriate approaches and implementation are important. Aspects of physical chemistry and calculus support experimental design and approaches to problem-solving.
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of organic chemistry is constantly applied. The position requires resourcefulness in the application of scientific methodologies. Must be capable of thinking logically to analyze and interpret results.
Ideal Candidate Attributes
- BS degree in Chemistry or equivalent required. MS degree and experience with EPA/FDA and cGMP preferred.
- Three to five years related experience with a BS degree in Chemistry or MS and 2 or greater than ten years related experience and a proven capability for conducting scientific research or scientific methodology.
- Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and safe manner.
- Work hours are divided between office, laboratory or assisting in pilot lab, and occasionally Operations production areas.
- Physical exertion commensurate with the ability to move large granular packages (up to 50 lbs.), 5–55-gallon drums, and liquid gas cylinders are requisite.
At Central Garden & Pet (NASDAQ: CENT and CENTA), we believe home is at the center of our lives, and our employees are driven by our purpose to nurture happy and healthy homes. Our company is made up of thousands of people across North America, with an emerging footprint across the U.K., Mexico, China and Canada - all dedicated to helping gardens bloom bigger, pets live healthier and communities grow stronger. We are united by our mission to lead the future of the garden and pet industries…one blade of grass and one wagging tail at a time. Visit our website at www.central.com to learn more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.
All successful applicants should expect to undergo a screening for prohibited levels of drugs prior to beginning employment.Back Share Apply Now
Apply on company website