CREDIT RISK REVIEW OFFICER SENIOR FIRST LINE OF DE
WHAT IS THE OPPORTUNITY?
The Credit Risk Review Officer Senior – First Line of Defense will support the centralized 1LODs daily activities for credit risk monitoring, identification and mitigation strategies of diversified consumer and commercial loan portfolios. Will independently assess and opine upon the overall credit risk and effectiveness of credit risk management to ensure limited risk exposure by adherence to bank and regulatory standards. This position also serves as an internal advisor to 1LODs to identify, recommend and effect process changes regarding credit risk management activities, regulatory issues related to credit risk, credit policy, and general credit underwriting guidelines; identifies current or potential problems regarding the assessment of credit risk and the administration of Bank credit/loan exposure; analyzes and monitors the quality of various retail and commercial credits that represent the wide range of credit products offered by the Bank. Evaluates Credit Policies/Credit Process and assures that proper credit controls are in place to fully satisfy safety and soundness standards established by Bank regulators; monitors adherence to such polices and validates that exceptions are adequately identified, fully justified and properly approved. This position supports the following Divisions: Commercial Banking, Specialty Banking, Entertainment Banking, Real Estate Banking, Personal and Business Banking, and National Corporate Banking
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Lead and manage credit risk reviews of various types of credit portfolios and credit processes.
- Performs risk based independent reviews of all types of CNB loan portfolios (including quality assurance document and underwriting reviews) to identify current or potential problems, as well as positive elements, regarding the assessment of credit risk and the administration of Bank credit/loan exposure.
- Determines the accuracy of assigned internal credit risk ratings, proper exception codes, regulatory leverage designations are correctly identified to adequately manage portfolio risk
- Reviews and assesses non-compliance with CNB policies and procedures, and determines loan weaknesses so that timely corrective actions can be taken, violations of laws and regulations and inadequate credit/collateral documentation.
- Ensure credit-granting is properly managed with credit exposures consistent with prudential standards and limits; along with established and enforced controls to ensure Policy and Procedures and limit exceptions are reported timely to Management
- Monitor, track and report on Risk Appetite metrics and concentration limits
- Work with designated Credit Manager(s) to establish portfolio credit risk management performance guardrails and evaluate performance, utilize sensitivity analysis, stress testing, market trend, and other analytical methodologies to anticipate any credit trends or deterioration and obtain insights into portfolio performance and market opportunities
- Collaborate with Division Risk Manager(s) and 1LOD Credit Risk Review Manager in creating and delivering presentations for senior management that include portfolio activities, analytics of risk, performance, emerging trends and opportunities
- Coordinate the completion of risk mitigating actions and providing status updates of open/closed issues to senior management and second line risk management functions
- Coordinate activities with other departments in the bank responsible for risk management including Credit Administration and Credit Risk Review (2LOD)
- Conduct QA/QC testing, validation and reporting on the performance of risk mitigating controls (e.g. if policies and procedures are being followed, if sign off limits are being exceeded, if EDD guidelines are being followed, etc.)
- Identifies, recommends and effects process changes as related to credit risk management activities, regulatory statutes, credit policy and general credit underwriting guidelines.
- Interprets and evaluates Bank Credit Policy and assures that proper credit controls are in place to appropriately manage credit risk. Monitors adherence to such policies and validates that exceptions are adequately identified, fully justified and properly approved.
- Acts as internal advisor/partner to CNB's line units regarding loan and credit matters and provides guidance in areas that require further development.
- Maintains awareness of the current regulatory/industry trends impacting the Bank's credit areas.
- Promotes teamwork within the department to ensure that knowledge and experience is shared among team members.
- Prepares departmental reports and other portfolio reporting as requested by management.
- Complies fully with all Bank Operational and Credit policies and procedures as well as all regulatory requirements (e.g. Bank Secrecy Act, Know Your Client, Community Reinvestment Act, Fair Lending Practices, Code of Conduct, etc.).
- Completes all required training and special projects as requested.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
- Bachelor's Degree in finance, economics or accounting
- Minimum 10 years of experience in credit risk portfolio management, credit administration, loan origination, and/or credit analysis as a commercial lender, regulator or credit review officer
- Minimum of 5 years of MS Office experience; working knowledge of Sharepoint, Tableau and Salesforce is a plus
Skills and Knowledge
- Completion of a formal credit training program at a commercial bank a plus.
- Previous experience in leading teams of Credit Risk Officers and/or Analysts is highly desirable.
- Strong understanding of analyzing various types of middle market credits required.
- A thorough understanding of analyzing various types of commercial credit including corporate, syndicated, and leveraged loans is highly desired, along with understanding of high net worth and private client lending and retail loan products.
- Knowledge of Probability of Default (PD) and Loss Given Default (LGD) systems are desired.
- Must be able to lead a team of Credit Risk Officers in the successful completion of credit risk review activities and related projects.
- Must be able to work successfully in a client focused, consultative work environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong verbal and written communication skills, and strong project management skills.
- Thorough knowledge and operational skills in the use of personal computers and various software packages, including Excel and Word.
*To be considered for this position you must meet at least these basic qualifications
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
INCLUSION AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
City National Bank is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by law.
ABOUT CITY NATIONAL
We start with a basic premise: Business is personal. Since day one we've always gone further than the competition to help our clients, colleagues and community flourish. City National Bank was founded in 1954 by entrepreneurs for entrepreneurs and that legacy of integrity, community and unparalleled client relationships continues to drive phenomenal growth today. City National is a subsidiary of Royal Bank of Canada, one of North America's leading diversified financial services companies.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Apply on company website