Locates and appraises personal property in Richmond County subject to ad valorem taxation, adhering to Georgia laws governing same, Department of Revenue regulations and applicable appraisal procedures. Reports to Deputy Chief Appraiser (Personal Property) or other designated staff member. Works with corporate and individual taxpayers, public, attorneys, elected officials, law enforcement and co-workers to provide accurate and accessible records. Incumbents in this class focus on the collection of data and routine appraisals, but with a higher degree of independence.PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducts routine property appraisals: performs appraisals of personal, commercial, and exempt properties; creates or verifies data for existing and/or new construction or new businesses; and uses department procedures and current data to establish fair market values.
- Collects property data: compiles data specific to personal property to determine values; conducts audits and appraisal data on personal and marine property. Reviews personal property returns to include businesses and marine equipment.
- Performs field inspections, including visual inspections: visits properties; verifies and audits reports versus actual property for errors and problems; and verifies data for business personal property, marine equipment and business returns.
- Prepares appeal data: gathers information and documentation; verifies records; conducts additional research and field reviews; and prepares related data for appeal hearings; reviews taxpayer appeals and defends valuations in hearings.
- Assists property owners, tax representatives, and the public with routine tax-related matters and provides information and answers questions regarding appraisal methodology, appeals process, parcel ownership, parcel mapping, land characteristics, physical improvement data, and current or historical valuation; reviews and inspects non-returned business returns.
- Locates and appraises personal property in Richmond County subject to ad valorem taxation, adhering to Georgia laws governing same, Department of Revenue regulations and applicable appraisal procedures
- May supervise and/or train designated subordinate personnel
Education: High school diploma or GED
Experience: Three (3) years of experience in property appraisal, Real Estate, Accounting or Finance.
- Familiarity with State and county laws, ordinances, rules, regulations and departmental policies governing ad valorem taxation of personal and tangible property valuation methods and accounting procedures
- Proficiency in basic mathematical calculations, record keeping, reading and interpreting maps and deeds, producing detailed building drawings and classifying property
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Must be certified as a Georgia Dept. of Revenue Appraiser II or obtain Appraiser II certification within 24 months of hire if holding three (3) years of experience in assessment administration at time of hire.
- Must successfully maintain at least 40 hours of certification training during each two years of tenure.
- Possession of a valid driver's license with good driving history. If State license is other than Georgia or South Carolina, applicant must obtain a license in Georgia or South Carolina within 30 days of employment. *This position requires driving a county vehicle*
This position requires some travel from office to other locations.
- Data Utilization: Requires the ability to review, classify, categorize, prioritize, and/or analyze data. Includes exercising discretion in determining data classification, and in referencing such analysis to established standards for the purpose of recognizing actual or probable interactive effects and relationships.
- Human Interaction: Requires the ability to provide guidance, assistance, and/or interpretation to others regarding the application of procedures and standards to specific situations.
- Equipment: Requires the ability to operate, maneuver and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/or materials used in performing essential functions.
- Verbal: Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of reference, descriptive, and/or advisory data and information.
- Math: Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication and division; ability to calculate decimals and percentages; may include ability to perform mathematical operations with fractions; may include ability to compute discount, interest, and ratios; may include ability to calculate surface areas, volumes, weights, and measures.
- Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to apply principles of rational systems; to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form; and to exercise independent judgment to adopt or modify methods and standards to meet variations in assigned objectives.
- Situational Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving evaluation of information against measurable or verifiable criteria.
- Physical Abilities: Tasks require the ability to exert very moderate physical effort in light work, typically involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling, and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (12-20 pounds).
- Sensory Requirements: Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, sounds, depth, texture, and visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
- Environmental Factors: Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, temperature and noise extremes, unsafe structures, heights, confined spaces, vibrations, animal/wildlife attacks, animal/human bites, water hazards, or rude/irate customers.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job.
Apply on company website