At the City of Plano, our values make us who we are and guide us as we SERVE our city. As members of Team Plano, our organizational Values (what is most important to us) make up the acronym, SERVE (Stewardship Engaged Respectful Visionary Excellence).
Summary of Duties:The Business Analyst is responsible for working with Technology Services (TS) and its business partners within one or more business organizations to align technology solutions with business strategies. This role supports one or more highly complex business processes, requiring design or integration of technical solutions or TS process that may cross multiple functions of the business.
Examples of ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Management reserves the rights to add, modify, change, or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
- Establishes and maintains liaison relationship with business partners and TS in order to provide effective technology related solutions.
- Conducts data gathering and analysis to understand business strategy requirements.
- Contributes to the business short-and long-term planning sessions and provides direction to ensure understanding of business goals and direction.
- Provides input from a business and IT perspective.
- Assesses needs utilizing a structured requirements process (gathering, analyzing, documenting, and managing changes) to assist in identifying business priorities and prioritize immediate business needs and recommends options, risks, and cost vs. benefits.
- Develops, writes, and communicates business requirements and such as the business environment, business vision, business rules, risks, and information pertinent to the stakeholder.
- Builds use cases to identify functional requirements to satisfy business needs.
- Analyzes operations to understand their strengths and weaknesses to determine opportunities for improvements.
- Assists in the business process redesign and documentation as needed for new technology and TS processes.
- May conduct feasibility studies and draft proposals for evaluation by appropriate users and managers.
- Responsible for business case development and presentation.
- Develops user test cases and system integration testing and validates test results during testing.
- Reviews test plans. Monitors testing process to ensure that business results are adequately tested with minimal risk. Executes test cases. Ensures test strategies involve appropriate integration and process components.
- Investigates problems and develops recommendations for resolution. Identifies need for technical assistance to help in problem resolution.
- Works with others to define and to monitor and analyze performance metrics to ensure operational efficiency and client satisfaction. Documents and presents performance assessments.
- Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work schedule is essential.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Typical Decisions: The incumbent is responsible for assessing the needs of primary business functions. Suggests technical and business related solutions for business functions and TS. Implements action plans to improve ongoing business performance in ways that minimize day-to-day disruption of operations.
Knowledge of: Position requires an understanding of technology and business functions to analyze and propose technical and business related strategies for the business. Assesses benefits, risks, and costs.
Skill in: Requires effective verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrates strong interpersonal and analytical skills. Demonstrates proficiency with Visio, MS Project, MS Excel, PowerPoint and MS Word. Excellent presentation, interpersonal, and communication skills – effective ability to communicate across all levels of an organization.
Education: Bachelor's degree or master's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business, or other related field. Or equivalent work experience.
Experience: Three to five years of business analyst experience including large, complex, enterprise-wide projects with the ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure. Previous experience in public sector desired.
Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications is an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements
Licenses and Certifications: IIBA, PBA and/or CBAP certification(s) preferred.
Conditions of Employment: Must pass a drug test, criminal history background check, periodic CJIS background check (for positions requiring access into Police buildings) and social security number verification check.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions: This is primarily an office classification although standing in work areas and walking between work areas may be required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator and to operate standard office equipment; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. Positions in this classification occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push, and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information. Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
Employees work in an office environment with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Employees may interact with upset staff and/or public and private representatives in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills which may be required. The position also requires meeting the essential requirements of the Physical Demands and Working Conditions, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE/M/F/V/D
Open positions are subject to close without notice.
Apply on company website