DescriptionSHIFT: Days (rotating weekends)
Are you looking for a work environment where diversity and inclusion thrive? Submit your application today with CJW Medical Center at Johnston-Willis Hospital to be our Registered Nurse RN Manager Risk Management and find out what it truly means to be a part of the HCA Healthcare team.
CJW / Johnston-Willis Hospital:
At Johnston-Willis Hospital we have been delivering top quality healthcare to Greater Richmond and the Tri-Cities area for more than 100 years, which means patients can depend on our experience to provide the exceptional care they need. Our 292-bed hospital offers a full range of healthcare services, with specialties in cancer care – through the Thomas Johns Cancer Hospital – as well as inpatient rehabilitation, our ER is a Level III Trauma Center, and neuroscience, including our first-in-Richmond Gamma Knife Center.
As Registered Nurse RN Manager Risk Management, you will be responsible for overseeing risk management activities, which include, but may not be limited to the following:
- Managing and analyzing risk management data
- Conducting educational programs
- Leading clinical risk initiatives, and
- Complying with regulatory standards with the objective of enhancing and promoting patient safety and quality care.
- Actively collaborates in the annual review/revision of the organization's Patient Safety Program Plan
- Maintains current knowledge of trends and initiatives related to patient safety
- Supports patient safety initiatives through leadership, direction and active involvement
- Acts as resource, internal consultant, and educator for patient safety issues
- Assists in the development of evidence based practice to comply with TJC and NPSF Patient Safety Initiatives
- Develops and implements programs designed to minimize the frequency and reduce the severity of actual and potential patient safety hazards throughout the facility
- Participates in patient safety activities with other clinical disciplines; Quality Management, Infection Prevention, Patient Safety and Process Improvement initiatives
- Actively participates in RCA (Root Cause Analysis), and recommendations for improvement
- Actively participates in FMEA (Failure Mode and Event Analysis)
- Leads investigations for serious adverse events
- Participates in disclosure of medical errors with physician support
- on Hospital Committees, as assigned
- Provides oversite on event reporting in the risk notification system
- Meets state-defined requirements for event reporting
- Provides data analysis, trending and recommendations to various patient safety and performance improvement committees
- Conducts systems analyses to uncover and identify trends that could potentially result in serious events, compensable events; incorporates loss prevention/risk reduction recommendations in the Risk Management Program Plan
- Actively collaborates in the annual review/revision of the organization's Risk Management Program Plan, with responsibility for operation of the program
- Answers medical/legal inquiries of administration, physicians, and nurses regarding emergent patient care issues and loss control
- Reviews relevant contracts for risk exposure and insurance purposes before approval, as appropriate
- Reviews plans for new construction, alterations and installation of new equipment to ensure insurance carrier is notified of plans, as appropriate
- Ensures compliance with various codes, laws, rules and regulations concerning patient care, including those mandated by state and federal agencies
- Ensures risks are minimized by following-up and acting on all regulatory/insurance recommendations/deficiencies
- Identifies and communicates regulatory requirements related to risk management activities
- Reports patient care-related events to the appropriate state and federal agencies
- Complies with various codes, laws, rules and regulations concerning incident reporting and investigative activities with federal, state and local enforcement authorities
- Submits required MedWatch reports to state and federal agencies
- Actively collaborates in the disclosure process for unanticipated events, use of apology, alternate dispute resolution mechanisms, early payment strategy, and lessons learned/prevention activities
- Directs and oversees investigation of events that could lead to financial loss, including professional and general liability claims
- Investigates risks involving potential or actual injury to patients and visitors
- Collects information necessary to prepare for defense of claims
- Collects, maintains and communicates to the insurance carrier and/or attorney appropriate information necessary to prepare litigation testimony
- Manages the claims program – reporting procedures, systems maintenance, detailed investigations, and use of alternative dispute mechanisms, supporting defense counsel, and assisting with settlement of claims
- Serves as liaison to insurance carrier in negotiating and settling specific general liability claims; assists in directing conferences with claimants, attorneys and claims manager, when applicable
- Maintains legal case files and strives to maintain maximum protection from discoverability of such files
- Evaluates property exposures, including new construction and renovation programs
- Reviews and analyzes existing insurance policies for coverage and exclusions; provides evidence of insurance coverage as requested
- Notifies carrier of changes to organization that will affect policy coverage
- Participates in managing the insurance carrier's safety improvement program to support the reduction of the annual premium
Loss Control (Clinical and Nonclinical):
- Directs loss control/loss prevention activities by analyzing the risk of loss versus the cost of reducing risk
- Provides Director with summary reports of incidents, claims, sentinel events and near misses highlighting “lessons learned”, actions implemented and measures of success
- Assists in the development of departmental and facility policies and procedures that affect liability exposures and regulatory compliance
- Assists department managers in designing a risk management program specific to their department and associated clinical risks
- Plans, develops, and presents educational material to administration, medical staff, nursing personnel, and other departmental personnel on topics related to risk management
- Interacts with patient relations/advocate programs
We invite you to learn more about this fantastic opportunity, who we are, and how you can join our dynamic team.
Check Us Out and Like Us on Facebook!
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing required
- BSN required
- MSN preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of clinical experience in a hospital setting required
- Current Registered Nurse License in Virginia or Current Multistate Compact License required
- Certified Professional in Healthcare Risk Management (CPHRM) required
- Certified Professional in Patient Safety (CPPS) preferred
- 63rd on Fortune's 100 List
- One of the largest healthcare systems in the U.S.
- Ranked by Fortune as a Most Admired Company for 3 consecutive years
- Named by Ethisphere one of the World's Most Ethical Companies for 10 consecutive years
We are committed to providing our employees with the support they need. At CJW Medical Center, we offer an array of medical, dental, and vision packages as well as several add-on perks to make your benefits package truly customizable to you and your family needs. Some of our unique benefits we offer include:
- Tuition Reimbursement/Assistance Programs
- Student Loan Forgiveness
- Paid Personal Leave
- 401k (100% annual match – 3%-9% of pay based on years of service)
- Identity Theft Protection discounts
- Auto, Home, and Life Insurance options
- Adoption Assistance
- Employee Stock Purchase Program (ESPP)
Intrigued? We'd love to hear from you!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Our Company's recruiters are here to help unlock the next possibility within your career and we take your candidate experience very seriously. During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not email you from a public webmail client like Gmail or Yahoo Mail. If you feel suspicious of a job posting or job-related email, let us know by clicking here.
For questions about your job application or this site please contact HCAhrAnswers at 1-844-422-5627 option 1.
Apply on company website