The Huntsville Operations Support Center (HOSC) provides engineering, operations and maintenance, system development services, and tools for NASA's International Space Station (ISS) and Space Launch System (SLS). We are seeking a Systems Engineer to build, maintain, and troubleshoot the expanding infrastructure of the Huntsville Operations Support Center (HOSC).
You will be part of a talented team of engineers that demonstrates superb technical competency in the delivery of mission critical infrastructure to ensure 24x7x365 availability, while continuously improving capability, performance and security. Systems Engineering Team responsibilities consist of design, requirement definition, deployment, and maintenance of computer ground systems and services including voice, video, storage, and telemetry subsystems. Formal education or certification in systems engineering is preferred but not required.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as Systems Engineer supporting development of the concept of operations and resulting system architecture, defining boundaries, identifying use cases, defining, allocating, and tracing requirements, evaluating design tradeoffs, balancing technical risk between systems, defining and assessing interfaces, and providing insight to verification and validation activities.
- Support the technical planning effort with primary responsibility for documenting technical plans, requirements and specification documentation, design documentation, and certification packages.
- Provide professional oral and written project plans and status to NASA customers and HOSC management.
- Provide accurate and timely cost and schedule information for technical activities.
- Examine on a continual basis the risks of technical deviations from the plans and identify potential technical problems before they occur. Plan, invoke, and perform risk-handling activities as needed across the life of the product or project to mitigate impacts on meeting cost, schedule, and performance objectives.
- Evaluate technical issues, identify decision criteria, identify alternatives, analyze alternatives, select alternatives, and make recommendations to management.
- Monitor progress of the technical effort and provide status information for support of the system design, product realization, and technical management efforts.
- Manage and monitor installed systems and infrastructure and identify improvements through data analysis.
- Monitor and test for potential performance bottlenecks and other issues, identify potential solutions, and work with the technical staff and vendors to implement those solutions.
- Evaluate vendor capabilities to provide required products or services.
- Support Operations and Maintenance including checkout of new capabilities as they transition to operational status, determining configuration changes based on new mission objectives, and resolving anomalies in infrastructure behavior.
At COLSA, people are our most valuable resource and centered at our core value. We invite you to unite your talents with opportunity and be a part of our “Family of Professionals!” Learn about our employee-centric culture and benefits here.
- Bachelor's degree in systems engineering or a related field, or equivalent experience
- Must be able to acquire and maintain a public trust clearance (US Citizenship is required)
- Working knowledge of desktop applications including word processing, spreadsheet, and database programs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Systems Engineering certification or degree
- Master's degree in engineering or related field
- Knowledge of NASA Procedural Requirements 7120.5, NASA Space Flight Program, and Project Management Requirements
- Knowledge of NASA SP-2016-6105, NASA Systems Engineering Handbook
- Knowledge of International Council on Systems Engineering INCOSE-TP-2003-002-04 2015, INCOSE Systems Engineering Handbook
- Knowledge of International Space Station (ISS) and Space Launch System (SLS)
- PMP certification or project management experience
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. COLSA Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer, Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
Apply on company website