The Gastroenterologist specializes in the area of the health of the digestive system or the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. The Gastroenterologist will treat everything from the irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) to hepatitis C. He/She will perform endoscopic procedures, treat for pancreatic disease, reflux esophagitis to include gastrointestinal cancer and nonsurgical procedures. Establish good communication skills and counsel patients in order to help them better understand their course of treatment. In addition to providing medical care, the Gastroenterologist will work with a skilled team of professionals such as nurses, technician and surgeons in order to ensure successful completion of required treatment for patients.
Work Schedule:Monday - Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm with call as scheduled
Financial Disclosure Report:Not requiredTravel Required
Not requiredSupervisory status
- Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
Conditions of Employment
- United States Citizenship Required; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 09/30/2020.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
- Two years of specialized experience in Gastroenterology
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements:Moderate Lifting (15-44 lbs); Moderate Carrying (15-44 lbs); Reaching above shoulder; Walking (1 hour); Standing (1 hour); Near vision correctable at 13" to 16" Jaeger 1 to 4; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Hearing (aid permitted); Emotional/Mental Stability; Both hands required.Education
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.ResponsibilitiesThe Gastroenterologist specializes in the area of the health of the digestive system or the gastrointestinal (GI) tract....
Apply on company website