The VA Central California Health Care System (VACCHCS) is seeking a full-time staff physician, board certified/eligible in Internal Medicine with added experience in geriatrics preferred to work in the Geriatrics and Extended Care (GEC) Service Line. This position reports to the ACOS of Geriatrics and Extended Care. The Candidate will be highly involved in shared duties in Home-based Primary Care (HBPC) and our 60 bed Community Living Center (CLC), Geriatric clinic and in our community-based programs. This dynamic and multi-faceted service line is undergoing expansion and creation of new programs requiring recruitment of additional staff.
The GEC Service Line is an interdisciplinary care line comprising the disciplines of internal medicine, geriatrics, nursing, psychiatry, recreational therapy, social work, pharmacy, physical therapy and occupational therapy. We are actively developing Telehealth Programs and are involved in teaching and training mid-level nurses and medical residents. Consistent with training and experience, the incumbent will work collaboratively with other VA facilities including VA Palo Alto, VA San Francisco and VA Northern California on critical geriatric health care initiatives. Applicant(s) selected for the position will be eligible to apply for an award up to the maximum limitation under the provisions of the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP) subject to availability of funding.
Not requiredSupervisory status
- Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
- Internal Medicine Physicians
- Physicians, All Other
- Physicians, Internal Medicine
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Physical Requirements:Moderate lifting (15-44 lbs); moderate carrying (15-44 lbs); straight pulling (1 hour); pushing (1 hour); reaching above shoulder; use of fingers; both hands required; walking (5 hours); standing (4 hours); kneeling (1 hour); repeated bending (4 hours); both legs required; ability to perform rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; near vision correctable at 13" to 16" Jaeger 1 to 4; far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; hearing (aid permitted); emotional/mental stability.Education
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
ResponsibilitiesThe VA Central California Health Care System (VACCHCS) is seeking a full-time staff physician, board certified/eligible ...
Apply on company website