Dollar General (NYSE: DG) is a Fortune 200 company with more than 15,400 retail locations in 44 states, 16 distribution centers and 135,000 employees that embody our mission of Serving Others each and every day. We work in an energetic atmosphere that embraces innovation, diversity and teamwork, all while keeping our customers and communities at the center of everything we do! At Dollar General, employees have numerous growth and development career opportunities through award-winning training and being part of one of America's fastest-growing retailers. Apply today and let's grow together!
Reporting to and under the general supervision of the Store Manager, manage the Perishable and Food Direct Store categories including perishable products in the coolers and freezers and other food direct ship items. Supervise store employees in the absence of the Store Manager. Assist the Store Manager in ensuring efficient and effective inventory management, appealing and profitable merchandise presentation and quality customer service. Assist the Store Manager in ensuring a safe working environment and providing protection for company assets according to required procedures. Assist the Store Manager in ensuring employee and store compliance with all food handling rules and regulations. Provides support to other key carriers as directed by the Store Manager.
DUTIES and ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Open the store a minimum of two days per week; close the store a minimum of two days per week.
- Authorize and sign for refunds and overrides; count register; deposit money in bank.
- Assist in ensuring the financial integrity of the store through strict cash accountability, key control, and adherence to company security practices and cash control procedures.
- Manage store in Store Manager's absence.
- Assist Store Manager, if directed, with: scheduling employees; ensuring adequate scheduling coverage; entering payroll information into computer; assessing work completion and following up with employees regarding performance.
- Assist Store Manager, if directed, in providing training for employees.
- At Store Manager direction, order drop-shipments and other areas of store.
- Assist Store Manager in following prescribed ordering practices to ensure the meeting or exceeding of in-stock targets; assist the Store Manager in reviewing ordering plan, seasonal direction and inventory management issues on a weekly basis.
- Assist with the efficient staging, stocking and storage of merchandise; unload trucks.
- Ensure that merchandise is presented according to established practices and Store Manager direction; utilize merchandise fixtures properly including presentation, product pricing and signage.
- At Store Manager direction, assist in plan-o-gram implementation and maintenance.
- At Store Manager direction, assist in maintaining accurate inventory levels by controlling damages, markdowns, scanning, paperwork, and facility controls.
- If directed by Store Manager, conduct safety meetings; assist Store Manager in maintaining a clean, well-organized store and facilitating a safe and secure working and shopping environment.
- Provide superior customer service leadership.
- Follow company policies and procedures as outlined in the Standard Operating Procedures manual, Employee Handbook, and company communications. Assist Store Manager in ensuring employee compliance.
- Assist Store Manager, as directed, in completing all paperwork and documentation according to guidelines and deadlines.
Perishable departments and processes specialized areas include;
- Maintain correct perishable stock levels based on store volume using the following tools:
- Current Ads/Planners
- Direct Vendor Order Guide
- Assist Store Manager in training assigned employees in the proper presentation, freshness and pricing standards for all perishable areas.
- Assist Store Manager in training assigned employees in the proper and safe handling of food in compliance with rules and regulations.
- Assist Store Manager in training assigned employees in the proper execution of hourly recovery standards to model store standards.
- Train assigned employees in the proper stocking and rotation of Perishable products.
- Receives the Direct Vendor deliveries and checks in Drop Ship Delivery perishable food product vendors.
- Record Perishable Markdowns, while analyzing causes and taking corrective action to prevent recurrences.
- Assist Store Manager in training assigned employees in the proper grading standards in produce to minimize markdowns and ensure product freshness.
- Accurately record inventory levels as requested by the Store Support Center and as directed by Store Manager.
- Assist Store Manager in ensuring compliance with sanitation standards and training employees assigned in the Perishable departments using the Cleaning Schedule.
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS:
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as diagrams, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedures manuals.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and percentages.
- Ability to learn and perform IBM cash register functions to generate reports.
- Ability to review Operating Statements and identify business trends (including sales, profitability and turn) expense control opportunities, shrink and errors.
- Knowledge of cash handling procedures including cashier accountability and deposit control.
- Knowledge of cash, facility and safety control policies and practices (deposits, store keys, SAFE program, etc.)
- Knowledge of inventory management and merchandising practices.
- Ability to read and follow plan-o-gram and merchandise presentation guidance.
- Knowledge of and willingness to comply with company policies and procedures as outlined in the Standard Operating Procedures manual, Employee Handbook, and company communications.
- Effective interpersonal oral and written communication skills.
- Good organization skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of situations where limited standardization exists.
- Understanding of safety policies and practices.
- Ability and willingness to obtain required certifications in food handling.
WORK EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
- High school diploma or equivalent strongly preferred.
- One year of experience in a retail environment and six months supervisory experience preferred.
- Previous lead experience and/or grocery store experience preferred.
- Attainment of required local and state food handling certifications, if applicable.
Dollar General Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply on company website