Dollar General Corporation has been delivering value to shoppers for more than 80 years. Dollar General helps shoppers Save time. Save money. Every day.® by offering products that are frequently used and replenished, such as food, snacks, health and beauty aids, cleaning supplies, basic apparel, housewares and seasonal items at everyday low prices in convenient neighborhood locations. Dollar General operated 17,266 stores in 46 states as of February 26, 2021. Learn more about Dollar General at www.dollargeneral.com.
The Fleet Manager (FM) is responsible for the day to day transportation operations. Responsibility includes managing 60 drivers, ensuring on-time store deliveries, tractor utilization, inbound reverse logistics service performance, and safe and legal operations for all drivers.
DUTIES and ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for driver safety, FMCSA, and DOT compliance. 80%
- Accountable for on-time store delivery routes, tractor utilization, and driver pay.
- Builds strong relationships with drivers through understanding their work life, meeting their expectations, and quarterly face-to-face business meetings with each driver.
- Accountable for driver training, time at home, driver retention, idle reduction, MPG improvement, driver load dispatch assignment, load optimizing, equipment usage, and effective use of the driver management system. Promotes a safety culture by evaluating the safety performance of all drivers. 20%
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS:
- Proven Leadership and in-depth knowledge of dedicated transportation operations, FMCSA and DOT regulations.
- Understanding of Compliance, Safety, Accountability (CSA) program.
- Strong communication (written and verbal), listening, interpersonal problem solving and innovative thinking skills.
- High attention to detail, strong planning, and organization skills
- Understands driver logs, hours of service, and dedicated operations.
- Proficient in usage of transportation optimization software to perform routing, tendering, scheduling, and shipment tracking.
- Ability to function in a high-stress environment
- Must know MS Office software
- 10% travel required.
WORK EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
- Bachelor's degree in Business or Logistics preferred, or comparable experience of one to three years in transportation operations for a retailer, manufacturing company, major carrier, or logistics company required.
- One to three years transportation experience managing at least 40 or more drivers preferred
- One to three years on-site driver management experience preferred
- One year Driver Dispatch Management System (satellite dispatch systems) experience (McLeod, TMW, Telogis, Dispatch Tracks, AS400)
Apply on company website