Dollar General Corporation has been delivering value to shoppers for more than 80 years. Dollar General helps shoppers Save time. Save money. Every day.® by offering products that are frequently used and replenished, such as food, snacks, health and beauty aids, cleaning supplies, basic apparel, housewares and seasonal items at everyday low prices in convenient neighborhood locations. Dollar General operates more than 18,000 stores in 47 states, and we're still growing. Learn more about Dollar General at www.dollargeneral.com.
Plan and lead the activities of all stores within the assigned area of operation, including full profit and loss responsibility, while acting within the scope of company objectives and policies to accomplish regional and divisional goals.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
Lead store teams, including Area Managers and store management, by ensuring:
- A culture that fosters Dollar General's mission and values.
- Fair administration of human resources policies and practices.
- Superior customer service through fun, friendly stores.
- Regional annual sales in excess of $150 million through quality orders and efficient flow processes.
- All tools are utilized in each store and market resulting in superior inventory presentation and management.
- Effective planning and execution of company objectives.
- Maximization of performance and productivity through a commitment to sensible store scheduling.
- Total development of human capital, through proper selection and education of employees and customers.
- Protection of company assets through loss prevention and expense efficiencies.
- Development of field partnerships with distribution centers, merchandising efforts, store growth initiatives, training and employee development priorities, recruiting, employee relations and customer service response, and IS implementation.
- Consistent communication of company priorities to area and store management teams.
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS:
- Demonstrated results-oriented leadership including the ability to model total development and serve as a steward of Dollar General's mission and values.
- Financial analysis skills sufficient to interpret operating statements and other financial reporting data, manage budgets, and control inventory.
- Demonstrated ability to produce desired results by leveraging resources, maintaining tough expense control, managing merchandise effectively, and setting clear expectations.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and leadership skills including a willingness to consistently provide superior customer service, the ability to react appropriately under pressure, the ability to apply good judgment in ambiguous situations, and demonstrated flexibility/adaptability.
- Ability to effectively work in collaboration with others to achieve objectives in a participative management style.
- Outstanding verbal, written and technical communication abilities.
- Exhibit the leadership capability for development as Divisional VP.
WORK EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
Bachelor's degree (Master's preferred) with four+ years of multi-unit management experience and seven+ years of retail with full P&L experience preferred; equivalent education and experience combination will be considered. Previous retail experience should be with a discount, convenience, grocery or similar environment.
- Drives results by identifying opportunities to improve performance.
- Works efficiently by planning and organizing work to achieve goals and objectives.
- Focuses on customers by anticipating customer need, overcoming obstacles, and continually striving to improve customer satisfaction.
- Applies effective analytical skills by integrating complex information, while balancing tactical and strategic initiatives.
- Provides effective leadership by maintaining an environment that promotes teamwork and maximizes individual potential.
- Communicates effectively by providing clear and timely communication and demonstrating effective listening skills.
- Demonstrates adaptability by adjusting to changing business priorities.
Note: This position requires weekly travel in a company-provided vehicle with limited overnight stays; a current driver's license and acceptable driving history is required.
Apply on company website