General Purpose of Job:
To assist health care providers and clerical staff in the ambulatory patient care areas. Provides developmentally appropriate care for the ages of patients served. Perform a variety of routine and specialized tasks.
Specific job duties include: Performs and documents vital signs and physical measurements in an age appropriate manner. Performs phlebotomy procedures, performs ancillary testing, promotes safety and infection control, calls pharmacy to authorize medication refills as per physicians orders, performs clerical duties to include: answering telephones, greeting patients, appointment scheduling, insurance pre- authorizations, chart preparation and completion, retrieves diagnostic reports and dictations, arranges for hospital admissions, and procedures, and reinforces physician discharge orders.
Essential Duties and Behavioral Expectations:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; employees will perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and/or hospital administration as required
- Maintains utmost level of confidentiality at all times.
- Adheres to hospital policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates business practices and personal actions that are ethical and adhere to corporate compliance and integrity guidelines.
- Schedules appointments, receives money for bills, keeps x-ray and other medical records, performs secretarial tasks, and completes insurance forms.
- Keys data into computer to maintain office and patient records.
Performs and documents vital signs and physical measurements in an age appropriate manner
- Prepares patient for examination.
- Performs and documents vital signs according to hospital standards.
- Identifies abnormal vital signs and reports to the nurse or MD.
- Measures height and weight accurately.
- Documents or photocopies current immunization accurately.
- Documents allergy status accurately.
- Assists with the preparation of equipment. and aids physician during treatment, examination, and testing.
- Performs waive testing procedures such as glucose monitoring, urine dipstick, rapid-strep, hemocult and urine pregnancy test.
- Passes competency validations annually.
- Labels appropriately, all waive testing controls with date opened, and expiration date.
- Maintains QC monitoring as appropriate.
- Documents legiable and accurately
Performs general lab duties as assigned
- Performs venipuncture, finger stick, and heel stick phlebotomy procedures as per hospital policy.
- Processes lab specimens, performs tests, and reports results as written in applicable policies and procedures.
- Performs only those tests that are authorized by the licensed professional and require a degree of skill commensurate with the individual's education, training or experience, and technical abilities.
- Maintains records that demonstrate that proficiency-testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient samples.
- Adheres to laboratory's quality control policies, documents all control activities.
- Identifies problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either must correct problem immediately or notify nurse in charge.
Promotes safety and infection control
- Observes and enforces guidelines for infection control in administering care, demonstrating adherence to infection control guidelines.
- Promotes safety of all patients and personnel.
- Promotes and ensures safe and effective use of equipment in assigned areas as observed annually by supervisory observation.
- Cleans toys per hospital policy.
- Responds to emergency situations as evidenced by ongoing supervisory observation.
Assists nursing personnel and performs other duties
- Collaborates with licensed nurse in ensuring that all nursing care required by patients is administered and documented.
- Stocks supplies and exam rooms daily.
- Health teaching and counseling as ordered by medical provider.
- Administer prescribed medications and immunizations.
Maintains interaction and communication
- Maintains unit, department, and hospital communication as observed by supervisor.
- Attends staff meetings or signs attendance records for reading of minutes and attends all mandatory in-services 100% of the time as evidenced by a review of minutes and Staff Development Records.
- Notifies licensed staff or supervisor when unable to complete assigned or tasks or responsibilities.
- Monitors patient flow in clinic and guest relations to promote customer service.
Education and/or Experience:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Completion of medical assistant training course accredited by the Bureau of Private Post secondary and Vocational Education in the Department of Consumer Affairs or CAAHEP.
- Current Certification as Medical Assistant
- Prior experience as a certified medical assistant preferred
- Basic knowledge of computer.
Apply on company website