DTE is one of the nation's largest diversified energy companies. Our electric and gas companies have fueled our customer's homes and Michigan's progress for more than a century. And as Michigan's largest source of renewable energy, we're creating a cleaner, healthier environment to power our future. We're also serving communities beyond Michigan, where our affiliated businesses offer renewable energy, emission control technologies, and energy services to industries in 19 states. But we're more than a leading energy company... and working at DTE is more than just a job. At DTE, we take great care of each other and our customers, and we use our energy to be a force for growth and prosperity in our communities. When you join us, you'll be part of a team that welcomes, recognizes, and celebrates differences, and values everyone's health, safety, and wellbeing. Are you ready to make that kind of difference? Bring your energy to DTE. Together, we can achieve great things.Job Summary
Location: Detroit, Michigan
This position is responsible for providing general direction and oversight to a team of Plant Managers assigned to utility assets that are owned or operated by DTE Vantage and located primarily in industrial facilities throughout the Midwest. Utility systems and powerhouse infrastructure experience is beneficial, particularly in the competitive, non-regulated energy market. Familiarity with managing all aspects of plant operations in large scale industrial settings is important. Work involves performing difficult and complex services requiring a high level of independent judgment, initiative, and discretion. Work is mainly self-directed, with work results reviewed through the achievement of set goals and adherence to policies and procedures.
• Ensures that the utility assets are operated in a safe, environmentally responsible manner while satisfying the utility and energy needs of the customer
• Ensures that appropriate resources are available to support the day-to-day operation and maintenance of the utility assets
• Understands and manages the project's commercial aspects and contractual obligations and ensure that plant personnel do the same
• Ensures that all financial goals are met
• Assists with the management of all energy conservation initiatives, if applicable
• Provides technical and administrative support to the entire project team as required
• Works closely with Plant Managers to develop, review, and manage annual O&M budgets and plans for each site
• Manages purchasing and inventory control processes
• Develops, implements, and manages consistent plant operating philosophies and best practices to maximize plant availability, efficiency, and productivity
• Develops, implements, and manages a maintenance program/strategy that incorporates economies associated with multiple plant sites, including optimizing the purchasing of commodities and supplies, contract labor and the use/sharing of spare parts
• Provides oversight and guidance to the Plant Managers to implement cost saving measures, improve plant efficiency and control operating costs
• Ensures that weekly and monthly reports are issued by the Plant Managers in a timely, consistent, and accurate manner as required
• Supports the development and implementation of all Onsite Energy business unit initiatives and best practices and ensure that plant personnel do the same
• Ensures that information is effectively communicated between home office and plant personnel
• Develops and maintain a close working relationship with key customer personnel
• Travels to multiple plant locations (up to 25% of time spent away from primary work location)
- High school diploma (or equivalent), with 10 or more years experience in the operation and maintenance of powerhouses, utilities, or similar plant assets
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in engineering, operations management, or similar field
• Thorough understanding of the operation and maintenance of plant equipment, including the importance of ensuring high availability, reliability, and efficiency
• Working knowledge of equipment such as boilers, air compressors, chillers, cooling towers, electrical distribution, lighting, HVAC, mist/dust collectors, weld water and waste treatment systems, turbines, fans, heat exchangers, transformers, motors, piping/valves, etc.
• Understanding of energy efficiency practices and energy conservation techniques
• Experience managing represented labor and related issues within a collective bargaining agreement
• Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong presentation skills
• Ability to communicate effectively at all levels
• Capable of working alone or as part of a team without a significant level of supervision
• Ability to develop and manage operating & maintenance budgets
• Ability to balance time and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
• Capable of promoting and maintaining strong, positive relationships with coworkers, suppliers, contractors, vendors, and customers
• Willingness to share expertise and knowledge with other team members for the benefit of the entire Onsite Energy business unit
• Experience with computerized maintenance management systems (CMMS)
• Proficiency in MS computer applications, including Word and Excel in a Windows environment
The physical demands characterized in the essential and marginal job functions epitomize those that must be met by an employee to properly perform the integral functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please reference the essential and marginal job functions (general office) for this position.
The employee performs job duties in a climate-controlled office with a moderate noise level and occasionally in plant environments where noise levels can vary.
Incumbents may engage in all or some combination of the activities and accountabilities cited in this description, depending on the organization & role to which they're assigned. This description is intended to describe the general nature & level of work being performed by incumbents in this job. It is not intended as an all-inclusive list of accountabilities or responsibilities, nor is it intended to limit the right of any supervisory or management representative to assign, direct & control the work of employees under their supervision.
At DTE Energy, we are committed to providing an inclusive workplace where everyone feels welcome and a sense of belonging. We seek individuals with a heart for service, a passion to help our communities prosper, and ideas to help shape the future of energy. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer that considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, disability, national origin, citizenship, height, weight, genetic information, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law.
Apply on company website