At Emerson, we are innovators and problem-solvers, focused on a common purpose: leaving our world in a better place than we found it. Each and every day, our foundational values—integrity, safety and quality, supporting our people, customer focus, continuous improvement, collaboration and innovation—inform every decision we make and empower our employees to keep reaching higher. As a global technology and engineering leader, we provide groundbreaking solutions for customers in industrial, commercial, and residential markets. Our Emerson Automation Solutions business helps process, hybrid, and discrete manufacturers maximize production and protect personnel and the environment while optimizing their energy and operating costs. Our Emerson Commercial & Residential Solutions business helps ensure human comfort and health, protect food quality and safety, advance energy efficiency and create sustainable infrastructure. Emerson, a Fortune 500 company with $15.3 billion in sales and 200 manufacturing locations worldwide, is committed to helping employees grow and thrive throughout their careers. Whether you're an established professional looking for a career change, an undergraduate student exploring options or a recent MBA graduate, you'll find a variety of opportunities at Emerson. Join our team and start your journey today.
What to Expect in our Co-op Program:
Expand your technical and professional skills in a real-world setting. Emerson co-ops are given meaningful work, support, and mentorship from experienced managers and key business leaders. There is the potential to gain knowledge and experience in a variety of ways by exploring opportunities associated with your major and rotating through multiple departments.
What We Offer:
- Competitive compensation, flexible dress code policy, and paid holidays
- Housing stipends for eligible students and a list of nearby housing options for relocation
- Access to our newly renovated fitness center, workout classes, and wellness program
- Event opportunities through our social and professional development co-op committees
Our co-ops are a key talent pipeline for full-time employment opportunities after graduation at our many locations.Description
The Polymer Engineering co-op will support new product development, cost reduction, and engineering support activities thorough in-depth engineering analysis, preparation of user training materials and documents, preparation of detailed input for analysis, summarizing data, documenting and presenting results.
AS A CO-OP POLYMER ENGINEERING, YOU WILL:
- Conduct accelerated aging of plastics and elastomers to look at the affect of time and temperature on both physical and mechanical properties.
- Work with physical properties include mass, volume swell, dimensional change, and hardness.
- Work with mechanical properties including stress at break, strain at break, modulus, and elongation.
- Perform all the pre-measurements, assembling pressure vessel to perform the ageing, post measurement, data analysis, and making observations from the data generated.
One of Emerson's core values is: Support our People.
Employee development is a top priority for Emerson. Employees receive opportunities for professional development, further education, training and individual career development. Emerson encourages both lateral and vertical movement within the company.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Currently enrolled in a Polymer Science and Engineering, Plastic Engineering, Rubber Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Material Science and Engineering degree.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher
- The candidate will be expected to work in a scientific and engineering laboratory while complying with all safety rules and regulations.
- Meet the physical demands of the position to be able to lift 45 pounds on a regular basis, standing for extended periods of time, and use of hand and power tools.
- PC skills including Microsoft Office
- Able to communicate in both verbal and written forms
- Self-starter with high degree of energy
- Legal authorization to work in the United States
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Completed relevant coursework pertaining to their degree, but not limited to: Physics, Polymer Chemistry, Mold Design, Principles, Part Design, Plastic Processing
- Strongly prefer GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Proficient in Pro-Engineer or Solidworks
- Familiar with the Autodesk Moldflow suite of software
- Proficient in mechanical properties analysis of non-metallic materials (tensile, flexural, compressive, etc.)
Emerson places a high value on ensuring that employees have a good work-life balance. We provide access to a competitive benefits package, including the following: medical insurance, dental and vision coverage, 401k participation with a competitive immediate match, fitness center, tuition reimbursement, parental leave, and an online wellness rewards program. Immediate vacation and holiday leave available, including a shutdown from December 24 through New Year's Day. Employee resource groups, including a very active Diversity and Inclusion committee, ensure that the Emerson values are incorporated into everyday employee life.
Why Work in the Greater Miami Valley Area
Our facility is located in Sidney, OH which is conveniently located within driving distance to several larger cities, such as Dayton, Troy, and Columbus. The area's generally low costs of living, excellent school systems, and low crime rates create a family-friendly environment. The area is home to several growing communities with restaurants, festivals, shopping, and arts scenes that make them exciting places to live and work.
About our Location
The newly renovated Sidney campus has 1M square feet of manufacturing floor with an additional 120k square feet of leading-edge lab facilities. This location is the headquarters for the air conditioning and cold chain businesses. Through our 30 years of scroll compressor expertise, our air conditioning related products help bring comfort and convenience in commercial, industrial and residential spaces. The cold chain business helps ensure that food safely and efficiently travels from farm to fork. Approximately 1600 employees work in Sidney, who all support a multitude of business functions. With the blend of businesses and functions represented under this one roof, there are many opportunities for advancement within the Sidney location.
Our success is measured by the positive impact we make on people, our communities and the world in which we live. Learn more about us!.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
At Emerson, we are committed to fostering a culture where every employee is valued and respected for their experiences and perspectives. We believe a diverse and inclusive work environment contributes to the rich exchange of ideas that inspires innovation and brings the best solutions to our customers. This philosophy is fundamental to living our company's values and our responsibility to leave the world in a better place.
Diversity and Inclusion at Emerson is about welcoming, respecting, and valuing the differences each employee possesses. Inclusion is creating a real sense of engagement, belonging and connection for all employees. Learn more about our Culture & Values and about Diversity & Inclusion at Emerson.
Emerson will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States. This is not a position for which sponsorship will be provided. Individuals with temporary visas such as E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN or who need sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future, are not eligible for hire.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Emerson is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, age, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status. We are committed to providing a workplace free of any discrimination or harassment.
If you have a disability and are having difficulty accessing or using this website to apply for a position, you can request help by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply on company website