At Emerson, we are innovators and problem-solvers, focused on a common purpose: leaving our world in a better place than we found it. Each and every day, our foundational values—integrity, safety and quality, supporting our people, customer focus, continuous improvement, collaboration and innovation—inform every decision we make and empower our employees to keep reaching higher. As a global technology and engineering leader, we provide groundbreaking solutions for customers in industrial, commercial, and residential markets. Our Emerson Automation Solutions business helps process, hybrid, and discrete manufacturers maximize production and protect personnel and the environment while optimizing their energy and operating costs. Our Emerson Commercial & Residential Solutions business helps ensure human comfort and health, protect food quality and safety, advance energy efficiency and create sustainable infrastructure. Emerson, a Fortune 500 company with $15.3 billion in sales and 200 manufacturing locations worldwide, is committed to helping employees grow and thrive throughout their careers. Whether you're an established professional looking for a career change, an undergraduate student exploring options or a recent MBA graduate, you'll find a variety of opportunities at Emerson. Join our team and start your journey today.If you are an Environmental Regulatory Specialist professional looking for an opportunity to grow, Emerson has an exciting opportunity for you! Based in our Racine, WI location, you will be responsible for environmental compliance activities in the areas of waste management, recycling, waste water discharges, air emissions, emergency preparedness, chemical safety and regulatory reporting for the InSinkErator Wisconsin facilities. As the Environmental Regulatory Specialist, you will participate in pollution prevention initiatives to minimize the environmental impact and provide guidance on select environmental topics to management and employees for the implementation and management of processes and procedures that meet regulatory and internal requirements.
AS AN ENVIRONMENTAL REGULATORY SPECIALIST, YOU WILL:
- Prepare and submit all regulatory compliance reports, internal company reports, and related correspondence for facilities including, but not limited to, waste water self-monitoring, hazardous waste generation, toxic chemical release (SARA), hazardous chemical inventory (SARA), air emissions inventory, and greenhouse gas emissions both internal and external. Requires technical calculation of emission data.
- Coordinate the activities of contract samplers and laboratories for the collection and analysis of wastewater samples to demonstrate compliance with applicable permit requirements. Complete inspections and maintain documentation for the Racine facility's Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan.
- Coordinate the management of waste accumulation and disposal activities including sampling plans, self/lab pack collections, off-site disposal profiling, storage methods, and shipment methods in accordance with USEPA and WDNR requirements.
- Oversee the transportation documentation relating to waste and chemicals to ensure compliance with USDOT HAZMAT requirements. Support the business unit's response to an emergency involving the release of hazardous materials.
- Provide technical assistance to department peers in the operation of wastewater treatment systems. Provide back-up coverage in the operation of wastewater systems in the event of absences of primary operators.
- In conjunction with peers, administer the components of the Hazard Communication Plan relating the availability of Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and the proper labeling of chemicals. Evaluate requests to use new chemicals to determine if they are appropriate for proposed uses.
- In conjunction with peers, develop and administer training for employees to ensure individuals obtain appropriate knowledge to complete job responsibilities in compliance with applicable regulatory requirements. Areas of training include, but are not limited to, waste management, wastewater compliance, and USDOT hazardous materials shipping. Training methods will be both “train-the-trainer” and personal training of employees on all shifts. Research available training sessions required for the employees in the department and schedule the needed individual's training for them to remain compliant and receive the appropriate certification.
- Conduct regular internal compliance reviews of Division operating activities to ensure conformance with applicable regulatory requirements and published Division policies and procedures for environmental compliance and safe use of chemicals.
- Conduct periodic reviews of Environmental Management System documented procedures and instructions and recommend necessary changes to ensure documentation system reflects current regulatory requirements and operation scenarios. Assist department leader in the creation of new procedures and documentation, as appropriate, to ensure necessary information is communicated to employees.
- Conduct or participate in projects to implement pollution prevention initiatives, implement new compliance requirements, or enhance existing compliance activities. Lead team activities relating to projects that enhance environmental performance.
- Provide regulatory assistance and collaboration to department peers and facility employees.
- Respond to environmental audit inquiries from regulatory agencies or internal audit teams
You research initiatives and try new approaches. You focus on creating an effective collaborative style. You understand the importance and interdependence of internal customer relationships. You prepare content for communication that is impactful.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Must possess knowledge of environmental regulations as well as technical, chemical, and mathematical skills generally acquired from a Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Chemistry or other related discipline plus three years' experience in environmental or chemical safety regulatory compliance; or an Associate's Degree in a technical, chemistry or other related discipline and five years' experience in environmental or chemical safety regulatory compliance.
- Knowledge and competency in Microsoft Office Suite or comparable.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Solid written and verbal communication skills to interact with employees, regulatory agencies, consultants, and waste disposal companies.
- Knowledge and understanding of state and federal environmental regulatory programs.
- Comprehension of chemical composition data provided by chemical product manufacturers as it relates to potential environmental impacts and/or hazards.
- Legal work authorization in the United States
Certificates and Licenses:
- (Required certificates may be obtained post-employment, within a time frame agreed upon with department supervision)
- Must possess a current certificate documenting USDOT HAZMAT Training in accordance with Title 49 Part 172 Subpart H of the Code of Federal Regulations. Training must be recurrent at intervals not to exceed three years.
- Must have documented annual training on Hazardous Waste in accordance with Title 40 Part 262 Subpart C of the Code of Federal Regulations.
- Must possess certificate documenting OSHA HAZWOPER Training (at 24 hr. Emergency Response Level) in accordance with 29 CFR s. 1910.1200. Certificate must be supported with annual 8 hr. refresher training.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Technical comprehension of production and ancillary processes in manufacturing facilities to evaluate how environmental regulatory requirements apply
Certificates and Licenses - certificates may be obtained post-employment, within a time frame agreed upon with department supervision
Current certificate documenting USDOT HAZMAT Training in accordance with Title 49 Part 172 Subpart H of the Code of Federal Regulations. Training must be recurrent at intervals not to exceed three years.
Documented annual training on Hazardous Waste in accordance with Title 40 Part 262 Subpart C of the Code of Federal Regulations.
Certificate documenting OSHA HAZWOPER Training (at 24 hr. Emergency Response Level) in accordance with 29 CFR s. 1910.1200. Certificate must be supported with annual 8 hr. refresher training.
We offer a Flexible Work Schedule where you will work with your manager to enjoy a work schedule that can flex with your life schedule
- Tuition Reimbursement- decide to go back to school and we can help pay back your tuition costs
- Mentorship Program- be paired with someone who wants to see you grow
- SOAR- take your career to new heights with this employee resource group
- Profit Sharing- you'll share in the profits since you are part of this company.
- Activities to engage employee interaction (BBQs in the summer, Donut Days, company picnic, community outreach, wellness contests), which helps create and maintain a fun and interactive corporate culture. You should enjoy your time at work.
Why Work in Racine, WI
Our facility is located in Racine, WI which is conveniently located within driving distance to Milwaukee and Chicago. The area's generally low costs of living and is a great family friendly area. The area is home to several growing communities with restaurants, festivals, shopping, and lakeshore beaches that make them exciting places to live and work.
About our Location
Headquartered in Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin, InSinkErator® is the world's largest manufacturer of garbage disposals and instant hot water dispensers for home and commercial use. We recently moved into our new modern headquarters and state-of-the-art lab space that will facilitate continued InSinkErator innovation and growth, enabling us to showcase the leading technologies that we're developing here in Wisconsin.For over 80 years, the company has delivered long-lasting innovative products, with superior grind and sound performance, trouble-free operation, fast, easy installation, and a We Come To You® In-Home Limited Warranty.
Our Commitment to Our People
We invest in our employees to ensure they have the marketplace knowledge, skills and competencies to compete and lead in a global economy. Our training programs focus on end-to-end development from onboarding through senior leadership.
Flexible and competitive benefits plans offer you the right options to meet your individual/family needs: medical insurance plans, dental and vision coverage, 401(k), tuition reimbursement, and more. We provide employees flexible time off plans including paid parental leave (maternal and paternal), vacation and holiday leave.
Our success is measured by the positive impact we make on people, our communities and the world in which we live. Learn more about us!.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
At Emerson, we are committed to fostering a culture where every employee is valued and respected for their experiences and perspectives. We believe a diverse and inclusive work environment contributes to the rich exchange of ideas that inspires innovation and brings the best solutions to our customers. This philosophy is fundamental to living our company's values and our responsibility to leave the world in a better place.
Diversity and Inclusion at Emerson is about welcoming, respecting, and valuing the differences each employee possesses. Inclusion is creating a real sense of engagement, belonging and connection for all employees. Learn more about our Culture & Values and about Diversity & Inclusion at Emerson.
Emerson will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States. This is not a position for which sponsorship will be provided. Individuals with temporary visas such as E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN or who need sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future, are not eligible for hire.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Emerson is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, age, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status. We are committed to providing a workplace free of any discrimination or harassment.
If you have a disability and are having difficulty accessing or using this website to apply for a position, you can request help by sending an email to email@example.com.
Apply on company website