At Emerson, we are innovators and problem-solvers, focused on a common purpose: leaving our world in a better place than we found it. Each and every day, our foundational values—integrity, safety and quality, supporting our people, customer focus, continuous improvement, collaboration and innovation—inform every decision we make and empower our employees to keep reaching higher. As a global technology and engineering leader, we provide groundbreaking solutions for customers in industrial, commercial, and residential markets. Our Emerson Automation Solutions business helps process, hybrid, and discrete manufacturers maximize production and protect personnel and the environment while optimizing their energy and operating costs. Our Emerson Commercial & Residential Solutions business helps ensure human comfort and health, protect food quality and safety, advance energy efficiency and create sustainable infrastructure. Emerson, a Fortune 500 company with $15.3 billion in sales and 200 manufacturing locations worldwide, is committed to helping employees grow and thrive throughout their careers. Whether you're an established professional looking for a career change, an undergraduate student exploring options or a recent MBA graduate, you'll find a variety of opportunities at Emerson. Join our team and start your journey today.If you are an Engineering professional looking for an opportunity to grow, Emerson has an opportunity for you! Based in our East Granby, Connecticut, or Elmira, Ontario, Canada, manufacturing facility, you will be responsible for the design, certification, associated literature, packaging, connection kits, etc. of heating cables used in industrial and hazardous locations. You will collaborate with internal and external partners globally to achieve results.
AS A SENIOR DESIGN ENGINEER, YOU WILL:
- Design products, components, associated controls, connection kits, packaging, plastic and metal housings, etc. for new and existing Heating Cable Sets; collaborating with Manufacturing to optimize the design for production.
- Create BOMs, installation instructions, and owner's manuals for new products and conduct cost analysis for product assemblies.
- Test products using lab facilities and outdoor test set-ups to validate design operation and review test reports for accuracy and content
- Collaborate internally (engineering) and externally (3rd party certification agencies) to ensure safety of designs are acceptable in the industry and obtain certifications such as UL, CSA, and others, in a timely manner
- Review existing drawings to ensure product design is fully detailed; create new ones if needed
- Propose cost savings projects and work to implement
- Coordinate with Sales, Marketing, and Manufacturing, to ensure product design is understood
- Work with vendors to resolve issues
- Travel, 10-15% annually, across North America to visit vendors, manufacturing locations, and installation sites to review product production and operation and gain Voice of Customer feedback
WHO YOU ARE:
You move beyond traditional ways of doing things; pushing past the status quo to come up with useful ideas that are new, better, or unique and capitalizing on trends to shape future opportunities. You ask the right questions and acquire data from multiple and diverse sources to accurately analyze problems and situations. You evaluate the pros, cons, risks, and benefits of different solutions. You experiment, trying different approaches and learning from the results, to find new and innovative solutions for solving problems You scan the environment for new technical skills, knowledge, or capabilities that can benefit business or personal performance. You take constructive action to navigate difficulties or obstacles; maintaining a positive demeanor and forward-thinking approach despite troubling circumstances or setbacks. You evaluate feedback; taking ownership for decisions, actions, and failures, and make vital adjustments. You solicit both input and discussion as well as model and encourage the expression of diverse ideas and opinions; balancing your needs and interests with those of others. You adjust your communication style to facilitate an open dialogue, relate comfortably, and meet the needs of diverse stakeholders across different levels, functions, cultures, and geographies; partnering with them to achieve shared objectives.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or a closely related discipline
- 3 years' experience with the design of an electrical heating product
- Ability and willingness to travel across North America to visit vendors, manufacturing locations, and installation sites; 10-15% annually. The company will help you obtain a passport if needed.
- Legal authorization to work in your current country of residence (the US or Canada)
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Professional Engineering license, Certified Engineering Technologist certification, and/or Project Management Professional certification
- Knowledge and/or working experience with polymers, extrusion techniques, product testing, electrical power distribution systems, heating cable products, heat transfer, and/or industrial and hazardous locations
- Experience with 3rd party product certifications such as CSA, UL, and ATEX/IECEx
- Familiarity with IEC standards and building codes for Canada and the US
- Strong Microsoft Excel abilities; create Pivot tables, perform VLOOKUP and other advanced functions, write/run macros
A background check and drug screen are required for employment.
Our Commitment to Our People
We invest in our employees to ensure they have the marketplace knowledge, skills, and competencies to compete and lead in a global economy. Our training programs focus on end-to-end development from onboarding through senior leadership.
Flexible and competitive benefits plans offer you the right options to meet your individual/family needs: medical insurance plans, dental and vision coverage, 401(k), tuition reimbursement, and more. We provide employees flexible time off plans including paid parental leave (maternal and paternal), vacation and holiday leave.
Our success is measured by the positive impact we make on people, our communities and the world in which we live. Learn more about us!.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
At Emerson, we are committed to fostering a culture where every employee is valued and respected for their experiences and perspectives. We believe a diverse and inclusive work environment contributes to the rich exchange of ideas that inspires innovation and brings the best solutions to our customers. This philosophy is fundamental to living our company's values and our responsibility to leave the world in a better place.
Diversity and Inclusion at Emerson is about welcoming, respecting, and valuing the differences each employee possesses. Inclusion is creating a real sense of engagement, belonging and connection for all employees. Learn more about our Culture & Values and Diversity & Inclusion at Emerson.
Emerson will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States. This is not a position for which sponsorship will be provided. Individuals with temporary visas such as E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN or who need sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future, are not eligible for hire.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Emerson is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, age, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status. We are committed to providing a workplace free of any discrimination or harassment.
If you have a disability and are having difficulty accessing or using this website to apply for a position, you can request help by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply on company website