First things First: Who are we?
First Transit Inc. is a leading provider of public transportation contracting and management services. For over 60 years, we have supplied precision, efficiency, innovation, and all-around expertise to public and private transportation systems. Today, we operate in 335 locations, carrying more than 350 million passengers annually throughout the United States in 39 states, Puerto Rico and Canada.
About the Position
Become a part of our First Transit team as a Safety Manager at our Metro Access location in Capital Heights, MD. The Safety Manager oversees the operation's safety program, and ensures compliance with federal, state, and local regulations. We hire individuals who make Safety and customer service their top priorities. We are looking for you if you have the drive, confidence, and determination to succeed!
- Administers driver hiring and compliance process (e.g., interviewing and driver selection; drug/alcohol
testing; fingerprint checks; DOT physicals;; motor vehicle records checks; government forms) as
- Provides direction, guidance, and oversight to location trainers, to include monitoring training hours.
Manages and monitors the execution of location training programs to ensure compliance. Schedules and
conducts recertification and enhancement training as required. Ensures training program materials
are revised based upon company and branding requirements.
- Leads safety event investigations using the 5-Why's or similar methodology, completes collision
reports, oversee collision files and enters into DMO, collision register, and follows up with the claim's
office and adjusters as necessary. Typically determines preventability, in conjunction with the location
manager, based on the facts identified both at the scene and in investigative follow-up. Provides post-safety event counseling with employees. Assists and participates in Safety Committee meetings as
appropriate. Sets up regular safety event review meetings to determine the preventability of events.
Monitor driver appeal process.
- More Duties are provided in an in-depth Job Description.
- Relevant safety certificates and OSHA (U.S.) 10-hour training preferred.
- Knowledge of federal, provincial, and state rules and regulations regarding safety and environmental
issues along with FMCSA and or FTA regulations.
- Proficient computer literacy essential with Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel,
PowerPoint and Outlook. Experience with other software, such as timekeeping and payroll systems is
- Literacy in technology used to manage the operation to include but not limited to FGA approved
Smart technology, Apps, encrypted drives, shared drives, and other Smart technology.
- Strong interpersonal skills in dealing with employees of all levels, including drivers, customers, senior
management, client representatives, union officials, and the general public.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks and manage time effectively
- Solid verbal, written, and relational communication skills, with the ability to appropriately interact with
employees of all levels, customers, senior management, client representatives, union officials and
- Fluent in English
- Committed to a safety lifestyle
- Subject to DOT drug testing. DOT Regulation 49 CFR Part 40 does not authorize the use of Schedule I drugs, including marijuana, for any reason.
First for a Reason
We offer competitive compensation and benefits (which vary based on role, location, and business), including physical and mental health initiatives, medical/dental/vision, 401(k), and paid holiday/vacation.
Diversity & Inclusion
Because we're stronger together, we aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We're committed to providing an inclusive and diverse working environment for everyone daily.
Start here. Go far. Thanks to our strong presence across North America, we believe in promoting from within, which means tremendous opportunities for you. In addition, our 18-month Aspiring Manager Program prepares future leaders at First Transit.
Build skills and knowledge in Safety and security, injury prevention, technology and equipment, and job efficiency.
Community Service & Impact
Go where opportunity meets community. Our customers are at the heart of everything we do. As the face of First Transit and First Vehicle Services in your community, you'll have a positive impact on others.
Apply today and get your career on the road with First Transit!
We aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We strive to attract and retain a diverse workforce therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. First is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles California, First will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance. First is an equal opportunity employer and by doing so we will sustain and promote an inclusive culture that supports future growth for all.
Apply on company website