Job ID 2100016F
Available Openings 2
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Functions as part of the hemodialysis health care team in providing safe and effective dialysis therapy for assigned patients in accordance with FMCNA policies,procedures, and training and in compliance with regulations set forth by the corporation, state, and federal agencies.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides patientcare under the direct supervision of Hemodialysis Registered Nurse for assigned patient(s)in the acute setting excluding Intensive Care Units as permitted by state requirements.
- Performs all technical aspectsof dialysis procedures for assignedpatients as prescribed to administer and monitor treatments in accordance with currenttreatment plan under the direction of the Hemodialysis RN. Responsible for reporting and documenting all new and unusual incidences, information, complaints, or problems to the RN.
- Provides treatments for assignedpatients as assignedto promote and assist in the maintenance of a safe and clean working environment. Supportsthe FMCNA commitment to the QualityEnhancement Program (QEP) and Quality Assessment and Performance Improvement (QAI) Activities; including those related to patient satisfaction and actively participates in process improvement activities that enhancethe likelihood that patientswill achieve the FMCNA QualityEnhancement Goals (QEP).
- With documented competency and proficiency, the LPN/LVN may set up and prime equipment as directed by the Hemodialysis RN for renal replacement therapies (hemodialysis, continuous renal replacement, and peritoneal dialysis therapies).
- Evaluates vascular accessfor patency; obtainsnecessary pre and post treatment vital signs and weight; performsvascular access cannulation as defined by the state and reports any difficulties or unusual findings to the Hemodialysis RN.
- Responsible for accuratedocumentation of information related to the patient treatment.This information is documented appropriately in the individual patient record to include the hospitalElectronic Medical System (EMS) and the Acute Care Electronic System (ACES).
- Responsible for reporting any significant information, change in patient condition, or equipment problemsto the Hemodialysis RN.
- Responsible for ensuringappropriate safety alarms are being used for every treatment.
- Records accurate and timelyinformation regarding vital signs and treatment parameters onto the Hemodialysis Treatment recorded in the EMS and ACES.
- Initiates renal replacement treatment according to prescribed ordersincluding setting bloodflow rate (QB) and dialysate flow rate (QD).
- Collects, labels specimens and ensurestimely delivery of laboratory per facilitypolicy.
- Identifies intradialytic problems and provides intervention as prescribed by physician's order or as directed by Hemodialysis RN.
- Performs and documents any interventions for the patient, documentspatients' response to intervention, and reports any changes or unusual findingsto the Hemodialysis RN.
- Evaluates patient's vascular access during treatment includingarterial and venous monitoringpressures, provides appropriate intervention as needed, documents,discontinues dialysistreatment according to established procedures and reports any unusual findingsto the Hemodialysis RN.
- Evaluates patient prior to termination of venous access – obtains blood pressureprior to termination of venous access; obtains hemostasis and appliesappropriate dressings; evaluatesthe patient prior to dischargeand reports any unusual findings to the Hemodialysis RN.
- Performs pre and post dialysis evaluation, weight and vital signs with initial identification and reports findings to RN for documentation and any necessary follow up.
- Initiates basic CPR measuresin the event of cardiacand/or pulmonary arrest and respond to emergency situations related to dialysis treatment. Responsible for re-enforcing education the patientsreceived by the RN.
Safely operates dialysis related equipmentaccording to the proper procedures.
Provides trouble shootingwhen necessary.
Ensures a clean, safe and sanitaryenvironment in the dialysisfacility treatment area.
Ensures blood spills are immediately addressed according to FMCNA Bloodborne Pathogen Control Policies.
Operates all emergency equipment effectively and efficiently in accordance to the standard operationprocedures.
Participates in staff meetingsas scheduled.
Participatesin staff trainingand orientation of new employees as assigned.
Acquires information and knowledge in currentpractice relatedto dialysis principals and technique by participating in scheduled in-service classes.
Performs additional duties as assignedby Program Manager.
PHYSICALDEMANDS AND WORKINGCONDITIONS:
The physical demandsand work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functionsof this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to performthe essential functions.
Day to day work includes desk and personal computerwork and interaction with patients, facility staff and physicians.
This position requires frequent,prolonged periods of standingand the employee must be able to bend over.
The positionprovides direct patient care that regularlyinvolves heavy lifting and moving of patients, and assistingwith ambulation.Equipment aids and/or coworkers may provide assistance. The employeemay occasionally be requiredto move, with assistance, machinesand equipment of up to 200 lbs., and may lift chemical and water solutions of up to 30 lbs.
The work environment is characteristic of a health care facility with air temperature control and moderatenoise levels. May be exposedto infectious and contagious diseases/materials.
The positionrequires travel betweenassigned locations and various locations within the community.
Travel to meetingsmay be required.
Graduate of an accredited School of Practical Nursing (LPN, LVN).
Current appropriate state licensure.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
Minimum of one year medical-surgical nursingexperience. Six monthsof hemodialysis experience preferred but not required.
Successful completion of a training coursein theory and practiceof hemodialysis.
Successful completion of CPR Certification.
Certified ClinicalHemodialysis Certification preferred or obtained within first year of employment.
Employees are requiredto take the Ishihara's Color Blindness test as a condition of employment. Note that: Failing the Ishihara Test for Color Blindnessdoes not preclude employment. The Company will consider whetherreasonable accommodations can be made.
Effective communication skills – both verbal and written.
EO/AA Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Fresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
Apply on company website