Interested in spending a few flexible hours a week on Medical Director duties? GPS has an opportunity for a PART TIME MEDICAL DIRECTOR at The Logan Center. Reach out to Carly McKenna, Physician Recruiter, today for more info!
POSITION SUMMARY: The Medical Director works with the Senior Vice President of Medical Affairs (SVPMA) to ensure that delivery of clinical services fulfills the Genesis HealthCare® mission of achieving the highest levels of clinical quality, efficiency, and outcomes. This is done by working with Centers, Regional Management and Genesis Physician ServicesSM to oversee the implementation, utilization, and outcomes measurement of Genesis HealthCare® Clinical Programs.
The Medical Director is dually accountable to the Center Executive Director (CED) and the SVPMA for clinical care within the Center, legally accountable to the CED for delivery of clinical services as stipulated in the Medical Director Agreement, and accountable to the SVPMA for the quality and efficiency of clinical services and outcomes within the Center.
Genesis Medical Directors partner with the CED and Center Nurse Executive, to achieve the highest levels of center performance in quality, safety, and efficiency. Our Medical Directors share accountability for center success in the evolving environment of narrow referral networks and value-based reimbursement, providing effective and proactive medical leadership.
* ENSURES CLINICAL QUALITY AT THE CENTER
* Clinical Quality and Safety -- Partner with the Center Executive Director (CED) and the Center Nurse Executive (CNE), to optimize Center performance across key clinical measures and objectives. Participate in monthly Quality Assurance/Performance Improvement meetings. Support nursing education. Collaborate with Regional GPS leadership. Advise the CED about the adequacy and medical appropriateness of the Center's scope of services, medical equipment, and staff.
* Clinical Policies and Protocols -- Implement and promote Center-wide adherence to clinical policies and protocols that have been established by Genesis Healthcare and Genesis Physician Services, with input from the provider community. Ensure that medical and overall care is consistent with applicable laws, rules and regulations, and current standards of practice approved by Genesis Physician Services.
* Advanced Care Planning -- Ensure that all patients have been engaged in advanced care planning discussions, and offered the opportunity to create advanced directives.
* Coordination of Medical Care -- Direct and coordinate facility-wide medical care. Resolve issues related to continuity of care and transfer of medical information between the facility and other care settings. Review individual resident cases as requested or indicated, including consultant recommendations.
* ESTABLISHES STRATEGIC FOCUS AND EFFICIENCY AT THE CENTER
* Readmission Avoidance -- Co-lead the Center's strategy to minimize avoidable readmissions with the CNE, through readmission review and customer-at-risk (CAR) meetings, as well as collaboration with hospitals and home health agencies.
* Population Health and Value Based Reimbursement Models -- Drive improvements in outcomes and efficiency, sharing accountability for Center performance in value-based models such as BPCI and MSSP.
* Efficient Utilization of Ancillary Services -- Ensure that Center utilization of laboratory tests, imaging studies, and medications is efficient and consistent with Genesis strategies and standards of practice.
* MAINTAINS OPERATIONAL EXCELLENCE AT THE CENTER
* Surveys -- Actively participate in the survey process to ensure Center success.
* Medical Staff Oversight -- Lead the medical staff at each center, providing feedback and coaching, to help optimize individual performance. Ensure effective physician participation in care processes such as assessment, diagnosis, treatment, and documentation. Provide appropriate feedback to practitioners about their care and overall performance and intervene as appropriate when any practitioner fails to meet requirements or standards. Address and resolve concerns and issues between the physicians and Center staff. Assure physician compliance with certifications/re-certifications, verbal orders, admission and discharge notes, and death certificates, and identify educational and informational needs regarding same.
* Telemedicine -- Support the use of telemedicine services, as made available by Genesis, to help avoid potentially unnecessary and burdensome transfers.
* Availability and Accessibility -- Ensure that residents have primary attending and backup physician coverage. Provide a safety net of back-up medical support for unanticipated attending physician unavailability, to ensure that each resident has appropriate physician coverage.
* DIRECTS PATIENT CARE
* Direct the medical care of Center residents who are assigned to the Medical Director as the Attending Physician. [Time spent as the Attending Physician is separate from that spent in the Center to meet the expectations of Medical Director described herein. The Attending Physician component is addressed by separate agreement.]
* PROVIDES AND SUPPORTS GENESIS PHYSICIAN SERVICES LEADERSHIP
* Attend quarterly Medical Director meetings.
* Represent and articulate the Genesis HealthCare® mission to the community and professional organizations.
* Help the organization establish appropriate relationships, and coordinate transfer and care arrangements, with area hospitals and other pertinent institutions.
* Partner with GPS Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants in delivering team-based patient care, and consenting to appropriate Collaborative Practice Agreements.
* Fulfill role-specific requirements from accreditors, such as JCAHO, as applicable to the Center.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* ADHERES TO COMPLIANCE RESPONSIBILITIES
o Comply with applicable legal requirements, standards, policies and procedures including but not limited to those within the Compliance Process, Standard/Code of Conduct, Federal False Claims Act and HIPAA.
o Participate in required orientation and training programs.
o Promptly report concerns and suspected incidences of non-compliance to management or to the Compliance Officer via the Reach Out Line.
o Cooperate with monitoring and audit functions and investigations.
* DEMONSTRATES PROFESSIONALISM AND COLLABORATIVE LEADERSHIP
* Conveys caring and compassion.
* Shows respect and appreciation to others.
* Works with a positive attitude, demonstrating teamwork and enjoyment for the job.
* Applies focus and discipline in doing the best job possible.
* Exhibits honesty and integrity in all aspects of the job.
SPECIFIC EDUCATIONAL/VOCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Training and Certification: 1. M.D. or D.O. required. 2. Board Certified in Internal Medicine or Family Medicine preferred, with maintenance of certification 3. Geriatrics specialization desirable. 4. Certified Medical Director (CMD) through AMDA desirable. Desirable Professional Experience: 1. Patient care in a long-term care setting 2. Medical Director in a post-acute care environment 3. Physician oversight and management responsibility 4. Team-based care in partnership with advanced practice nurses and physician assistants 5. Success in value-based care and reimbursement models Skills 1. Good communicator verbally and in writing 2. Effective teacher and coach 3. Effective utilizer of electronic health records 4. Business acumen that aligns clinicians and practitioners in Center mission 5. Strong interpersonal skills 6. Ability to work well in a fast paced, unstructured environment
Position Type: Part Time
Req ID: 297611
Center Name: Genesis Physician Services
Apply on company website