This is a full-time year round position based at our Fred Harvey's Restaurant in Williams. Under direction of Kitchen Manager this position is responsible for overseeing the efficient operation of the kitchen at the Grand Depot Café (GDC) and Spenser's Pub; and all banquet functions. The Assistant Kitchen Manager is a hands on role supporting food preparation, cooking, storing, labeling, checking food temperatures, organizing coolers, placing/receiving orders, prep lists, recipes, and specs.
- Fully understand and support Xanterra Mission Statement and Core Values.
- Enforce all Xanterra /Grand Canyon Railway F & B standards, policies and procedures including uniform, hygiene and HACCP food sanitation program for entire Food and Beverage Department.
- Responsible for creating and maintaining a positive working relationship with Coconino Public Health Department and acting with vigilance in any areas of Public Health concern.
- Utilize and maintain the company training programs for all positions.
- Ensure all assigned staff is in compliance with environmental programs, vehicle operation and risk management such as the wearing personal protective equipment, worker safety (OSHA)and Safety Data Sheets (SDS) location, etc.. Ensure completion of all accident reports and submit to Risk Department immediately after incident.
- Maintain and review all food safety logs on daily basis.
- Assist Kitchen Manager in developing and updating recipe books, specs and necessary training manuals. Co-responsible for all food production in accordance with recipes or standards.
- Fully understands company policies to be able to objectively observe and evaluate work performance of all employees to ensure compliance, while providing a safe and healthy work environment.
- Communicates with all F&B managers, regarding guests' concerns or complaints, employees issues and/or concerns; maintenance repair needs; and suggestions for improvement on the efficiency and operation of the restaurant and business unit(s).
- Must accommodate our guests in the most professional manner possible.
- Responsible for coaching and mentoring staff to a level of acceptable work performance. When necessary, confer with Kitchen Manager and Director of F&B to provide the necessary written documentation for an employee's evaluation, corrective action reports and/or accident/injury reports.
- Under the direction of the Director of F&B and working with Kitchen Manager, oversee kitchen production at Fred Harvey Restaurant and Spenser's to assure BOH labor, food and operational costs conform to budget limitations without sacrificing quality and perceived value for our guests.
- Under the direction of Kitchen Manager, oversee employees on your shift; ensure that all assigned side work and published cleaning schedules are being completed. Assist with production throughout the day during rush hours.
- Under the direction of Kitchen Manager, assist with placing orders accurately and in a timely manner; both supplies and food product. Follow-up to ensure there is proper rotation of food product, storage and inventory of all food products; with the goal of cross-utilization of all food products to minimize waste, theft and to control spoilage while staying within budget.
- Under the direction of Kitchen Manager, receive all orders; check delivery items with invoices and ensure proper handling, quality of product and stocking.
- Co-responsible with Executive Kitchen Manager and FOH Managers for efficient buffet set-up, maintenance and break down in accordance with current timetable. Follows staffing guides for FOH and sets up sections for the meal period. Working with Kitchen Manager, make necessary adjustments based on staffing absences and last minute changes, such as increase/decreases in buffet counts.
- Under direction of the Kitchen Manager , responsible for conducting daily “Service Briefings” and training staff: proper evacuation procedures and how to execute plan timely, SDS location, Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) procedures, etc. Ensure staff is aware of any staffing issues, special events or equipment issues.
- Perform periodic walk-through in the kitchens and dining areas of business unit(s); working closely with all FOH Managers and Kitchen Manager to look at all areas of food service to ensure food quality, consistency, presentation, cleanliness and safety is maintained. Participate in quarterly F&B audits to determine areas and/or processes which may have opportunities for improvement.
- Under direction of Kitchen Manager, may participate in End of Month Inventory.
- Under direction of Kitchen Manager, work closely with the Steward to continually train in all aspects of the kitchen. Apply thorough knowledge of food preparation, including organization of daily buffet features and menu production at Spenser's with the focus of maintaining food quality, spec consistency and buffet/plate presentation.
- Under direction of Kitchen Manager responsible for scheduling of employee's as required to meet business needs; review with Director F&B to ensure schedules meet labor budget and guest demands.
- Under direction of Kitchen Manager, assists with completing hourly staff annual evaluations in a timely fashion; review with Director F&B. Assists with periodic informal evaluations (HIGS), for FOH staff members on a bi-annual basis.
- Under direction of Executive Chef/Kitchen Manager, responsible for reviewing and daily approval of all FOH employee's time through Kronos.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Two (2) years previous supervisory or lead cook experience in a high volume ala carte dining or institutional establishment with progressive cooking/menu development.
- Must have working knowledge of a kitchen with the ability to train employees in all kitchen positions; from ala carte preparation/presentation to batch cooking to prep work of entry level kitchen positions; with a goal of advancing staff within the kitchen.
- Bachelor of Science degree in hotel/restaurant management is desirable.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software programs (Word and Excel).
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) language skills a plus.
- Verbal comprehension (Understand oral and written communications, follow detailed directions).
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions)
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills)
- Work safely to prevent on the job accidents and injuries.
- Work in inclement kitchen conditions. (heat, steam, cold, chemicals)
- Work safely to ensure company equipment is secure.
- Wear protective equipment as required by the job duties.
- Complete required food safety courses and certifications within 90 days of filling position.
- Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, overtime, and various shift work as needed.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
- Constantly standing, walking, twisting, using eye/hand coordination, manual dexterity, handling, wrist motion, bending/ stooping.
- Frequently carrying, bending, stooping, lifting, pushing, and pulling items weighing up to 50lbs.
- Occasionally carrying, bending, stooping, lifting, pushing, and pulling items weighing up to 100lbs.
- Constantly listening, hearing, seeing, and speaking.
- Will be required to stand and walk for long periods of time on cement floors and to occasionally walk on uneven surfaces.
- Static Strength-The ability to exert maximum muscle force to lift, push, pull or carry objects.
- Trunk Strength-The ability to use your abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without giving out or fatiguing.
- As a Xanterra/GCR employee, you have a responsibility to protect the environment. While on duty, you are to comply with all environmental regulations and policies, prevent pollution of the environment, reduce waste and recycle.
- A uniform is provided for this position. Footwear and black pants will be provided by the employee, footwear must have a non-slip sole, provide support for the arch of the foot and have a well-defined heel and be sturdy.
The position shall follow the appearance standards as outlined in the Xanterra/GCR Employees Handbook and departmental guidelines.
Apply on company website