The Guitar Center Company is the world's largest retailer of guitars, amplifiers, drums, keyboards, recording, live sound, DJ, and lighting equipment, with more than 290 stores across the United States. 2014 marked the milestone 50th anniversary of the Guitar Center Brand as the company continues to help people make music from coast to coast.
Guitar Center operates through several business divisions. The Musician's Friend business offers online sales of a broad selection of music products under the Musician's Friend and Music 123 brand names. The Music & Arts division operates more than 220 stores specializing in band & orchestral instruments for sale and rental, serving teachers, band directors, college professors, and students since 1952. Additionally, AVDG and GCPro support customers with high-end, custom AV integration needs across complex commercial and residential spaces. With an unrivaled in-store experience and passionate commitment to making gear easy-to-buy, Guitar Center is all about enabling musicians and non-musicians alike to experience the almost indescribable joy that comes from playing an instrument.
Guitar Center is seeking a Corporate Counsel to support the organization in areas of contract review, legal and business risk evaluation and mitigation, and deal negotiation across key strategic initiatives and all enterprise business units.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist all facets of corporate legal department by providing legal assistance in the areas of contract review, intellectual property, advertising and promotions and e-commerce.
- Negotiate contracts and agreements including but not limited to store leases and related real estate documents, including construction agreements, subordination, nondisturbance and attornment agreements, term commencement agreements, the memoranda of lease, waivers of exclusives, lien release agreements and letters of credit.
- Analyze and address legal and contractual matters affecting Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, Music & Arts.
- Work closely with all enterprise departments to assess and advise on legal and business risks and risk mitigation strategies
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law in California
- Minimum of two (2) years of relevant experience practicing law in a corporate environment
- Experience negotiating contracts and performing deep contract reviews
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work well both independently and in a team environment.
- Must possess the following personal qualities:
- Able to focus on possibilities and not problems;
- Effective at resolving differences of opinion through consensus building;
- Able to conceptualize and articulate pragmatic/creative legal and business solutions to complex challenges;
- Outstanding drafting and negotiating skills; and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Guitar Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides fair and equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected status prohibited under Federal, State, or local laws. All employment decisions are based on valid job‐related requirements.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our website, you may request a reasonable accommodation to express interest in a specific opening. You can request reasonable accommodation by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply on company website