The Sourcing Specialist will work collaboratively with various individuals within the department as well as other departments to achieve company product development and sourcing objective. Experience in hardline products, product development, and factory evaluations with overseas manufacturers are essential. This individual must be deadline oriented and excel in multi-tasking a variety of pending projects. Willingness to learn is essential for success and in conjunction with strong communication and collaboration with multiple groups throughout our business, provides a chance to make a big impact, and offers opportunity for career growth.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Learn and attain fingertip knowledge of product base;
- Assist department in building a strategic vendor base for prioritized HFT categories;
- Develop assessment skills to determine a vendor's ability to ship on time, provide quality goods, and to produce their products at costs that meet the economic requirements of HFT ;
- Find, evaluate, and select vendors to supply products that are sold in HFT's retail stores;
- Cross-functionally support product line transitions from sourcing of viable vendors through product costing, sampling, and quality testing in our own laboratories;
- Establish second sources that allow HFT to provide its customers with the same product from different vendors, while maintaining form, function, specifications, and cost. The product differences from second sources should be indiscernible to our customers.
- Offer and identify new products that would enhance the HFT mix;
- Provide competitor insight though discussions with vendors and first-hand knowledge;
- Work within urgency and deadline requirements ;
- Collaborate closely with merchandising and packaging, quality and manuals, and sourcing teams on a daily basis to serve enterprise objectives and understand total impact of any actions.
- Organizational Scope – All US locations/Single Category/Region/District/Distribution Center
- Travel – 40-60% Overseas Travel
- Location—HQ Corporate.
Job Qualifications – Education and Experience
- Minimum of 3+ years of relevant and progressive buying experience in retail industry or 2 years' experience in project management and/or new product development role;
- Bachelor's Degree preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to drive product implementation and strategy ;
- Experience with a fast-paced, high volume, efficient organization with emphasis on customer service and delivering results;
- Ability to research products and trends and analyze products and product specifications in supplier proposals;
- Considerable attention to detail and sense of urgency to ensure value-added content in the purchasing process and confidence in the continuity of supply;
- Sourcing merchandise through new and existing vendors, trips and tradeshows;
- Ability generate and analyze sales reports and data;
- Must be proficient with computers and automated process and systems;
- Must be a self-starter, results driven and proven leadership ability;
- Strong sense of urgency, collaborative team style, and ability to quickly adapt to changes in priorities.
General office environment requiring ability to:
- Stand, walk, sit for extended periods of time;
- Speak and listen to others in person and over the phone;
- Use keyboard and read from computer screen and reports;
- Lift up to 15 lbs;
About Harbor Freight Tools
In 1977, when Harbor Freight Tools was started as a small family-owned business, we made a commitment to provide working people with great quality tools at the lowest prices. And for over 40 years, Harbor Freight Tools has done just that. From hand tools and generators, to air and power tools, from shop equipment to automotive tools, Harbor Freight offers more than 5,000 tools and accessories at quality levels that match or exceed competing brands, but at prices that are up to 80% less.
We're not your typical retailer. We're a team of high-achievers, who have a passion for excellence and continuous improvement and obsess about getting things done. We're also equally committed to doing the right thing and giving back to our community. And for us, collaboration is the golden rule. We're a 40 year-old, $4 billion company with over 30 million loyal customers and growing. If you are looking for a not so ordinary and highly rewarding career opportunity, we would love to talk with you.
Delivering Value to the Hardworking Since 1977
Apply on company website