Position Summary: The Registered Nurse First Assistant (RNFA) is a registered nurse with specialized education.
- The development of specific technical skills enables the RNFA to assist the surgeon with specific intra-operative procedures that are beyond the scope of practice for registered nurses without RNFA education and training.
- The RNFA may provide direct care to patients using the nursing process preoperatively, intra-operatively and postoperatively.
- Intra-operatively, the RNFA functions interdependently with the surgeon and applies knowledge, skill, and judgment necessary to assist the surgeon in performing a safe operation that yields optimal results for the patient.
- The following list includes but is not limited to the activities that the RNFA can perform: cauterizing, suturing, incising skin, using instruments/medical devices, providing exposure, handling and/or cutting tissue, and providing hemostasis.
- Education - Fulfilled the requirements to be licensed as a registered nurse in NYS.
- Experience (minimum) – ASPN III: 2 years experience as a Highland RN or 3 years RN experience from another healthcare provider
- License/Certification Required – Licensed by New York State to practice as a Registered Nurse; RN's in the RNFA role must have CNOR AND Certificate from RNFA program; NP's in RNFA role must have successfully completed RNFA Certification program.
- Skills (to include equipment, software, etc.): Basic knowledge of a PC including internet and email use.
Apply on company website