Position at IDEA Public Schools
IDEA Public Schools:
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 50% of our students graduate from college in 6 years – that's 8 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA's co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve nearly 53,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. By 2022, IDEA will serve 100,000 students. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you—with continued growth in our current regions and new launches in Houston (2020), Permian Basin (2020), and Tampa Bay (2021)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this video.
About our region:
San Antonio is the nation's 7th largest city and boasts the highest rate of population growth across the U.S. As the San Antonio region continues to grow rapidly, IDEA is committed to increasing our community presence to provide the best experience for all families and children.
In May 2019, we welcomed our region's first graduating seniors. We believe through the hard work of our passionate IDEA Team & Family; college acceptance and matriculation can be realized. Currently, 1 in 6 San Antonio students graduate college ready. Changing this statistic for the better is part of the promise IDEA makes to current and incoming students.
Join our IDEA San Antonio family as we are poised to serve 29,000 students at 37 local schools by 2022.
Role Mission: The Assistant Principal of Operations (APO) manages campus operations for each IDEA site (two schools) and is responsible for achieving operational excellence across non-instructional areas, including front office management, student information systems, child nutrition, transportation, health services, business office, facility maintenance, new construction management, technology coordination, student recruitment and enrollment.
85% Ops Staff Retention
- Responsible for ensuring top performers occupy every seat across all operations roles
- Institutes operating mechanisms that facilitate the ongoing coaching and support of team members (check-ins, tactical meetings, regular observation and feedback sessions, high-quality talent review process and staff development cycle)
- Leverages the APO Priorities Calendar; routinely assesses team members based on progress toward goals as well as principal and HQ feedback; prioritizes support accordingly
100% Projected Enrollment for Academy and College Prep by the first day of school
- Develops and executes student recruitment efforts that target families with school-aged children immediately surrounding each school
- Leads team to recruit new families with specific applicant goals per grade level--3:1 ratio (open grade levels) while ensuring applications are high quality and ultimately lead to enrollment
- Ensures all new families are effectively on-boarded and persist through their first year
- Complies with all federal, state, and organizational student registration requirements throughout the enrollment process (i.e. transfers, testing, etc.)
97.5% Average Daily Attendance (ADA) for Academy and College Prep
- Ensures new and existing families know and understand attendance expectations, with a particular emphasis on PreK and Kinder families
- Manages team on the implementation of standardized accountability frameworks to ensure adherence to the outlined ADA policy at each school (i.e. escalation matrix, official attendance taking time, etc.)
- Tracks data on a daily and cumulative basis and makes it visible to key stake-holders; identifies trends and course-corrects in a targeted way week-over-week
- Implements best practices and leverages tracking mechanisms to positively impact ADA progress toward goals (PTGs)
- Works with school lead teams to invest, motivate and implement ADA plans to achieve maximum impact
- Complies with all federal and state ADA guidelines by performing regular and ongoing audits, staying abreast of changes in ADA policy and procedures, and effectively monitoring team members
90% new student persistence for Academy and College Prep
- Co-leads efforts with Academic Counselors to create an environment where students learn, thrive and have fun (school culture, praise and recognition, in and out of school events calendar, etc.)
- Implements an ongoing monitoring system that reviews and addresses parent and student feedback, particularly as it relates to non-instructional services and support
- Manages new family on-boarding from the time a parent applies to IDEA through their first year in our schools
Achieves Operational and Financial Excellence in Auxiliary Services (cost/sqft, cost/rider, CNP fund balance)
- Ensures all Auxiliary support services provide best-in-class customer service while achieving operational efficiency and financial targets
- Indirectly manages and provides day-to-day tactical oversight and support in the areas of Transportation, and Child Nutrition (CNP)
- Directly manages and is responsible for coaching and mentoring of Certified Nurse's Assistants (CNAs) and Facilities Managers
Campus safe and operational one week before FDOS
- Responsible for managing all Beginning of Year (BOY) efforts with a specific focus on:
- 100% of positions filled, staff on-boarded and in attendance at summer training
- 5 average score on both the parent and staff BOY surveys
- ≥90 score on BOY quality scorecard
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students.
- APOs directly and indirectly manage more than 8 direct reports that include: receptionist, SIS coordinator, registrar, cafeteria manager, transportation manager, health aide, business clerk, and facility manager, among others.
- Reports to: APOs have two managers (Academy Principal and College Prep Principal) that share responsibility for coaching, mentoring, and day-to-day capacity building. Additionally, APOs receive strategic direction, technical support and direct teaching from the regional and national Operations team
- Education: Bachelor's degree required
- Experience: Experience managing and developing others to achieve ambitious results
Salaries for this role typically fall between $68,697 and $87,590, commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on individual and organizational performance and goal attainment.
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.
Apply on company website