Position at IDEA Public Schools
IDEA Public Schools:
IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free PK-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college.
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, IDEA's co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We serve more than 50,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. By 2022, IDEA will serve 100,000 students.
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this video.
Austin is a vibrant city filled with a rich cultural heritage and is ranked as the #1 Best Place to Live for the second year in a row by U.S. News and World Report. The city of Austin is the state capital and holds the ranking as the 11th largest city in the United States. Currently, Austin is home to 10 of IDEA's schools and serves nearly 5,000 students at campuses in Austin, Kyle, and Pflugerville.
In a city that is a hub for knowledge, IDEA is working to support the community through education, which is the single most effective anti-poverty strategy we possess as a nation. This is why we focus on AP courses for all students, college acceptance, and matriculation. Only 1 in 8 Austin students graduate college ready. Changing this statistic is part of the promise IDEA makes to current and incoming students. Our goal is to add 16 more schools over the next 4 years, including IDEA's first health professions school, in support of our mission of college for all, positioning us to serve approximately 13,000 students by 2022.
The Assistant Principal of Operations (APO) manages campus operations for each IDEA site (two schools) and is responsible for achieving operational excellence across non-instructional areas, including front office management, student information systems, child nutrition, transportation, health services, business office, facility maintenance, new construction management, technology coordination, student recruitment and enrollment. For APOs during launch year (Year 0) of their campus, the primary responsibility is recruiting and enrolling students and on-boarding new families to IDEA. It will be required to work evening hours and weekends.
- 85% Operations Staff Retention
- Responsible for ensuring top performers occupy every seat across all operations roles
- Implements operating mechanisms that facilitate the ongoing coaching and support of team members (check-ins, tacticals, regular observation and feedback sessions, high-quality talent review process and staff development cycle)
- Leverages the APO Priorities Calendar; routinely assesses team members based on progress toward goals as well as principal and HQ feedback; prioritizes support accordingly
- 100% Projected Enrollment for IDEA Spears in grades K, 1, 2, and 6 by the first day of school (FDOS)
- Develops and executes student recruitment efforts, in partnership with campus principals that target families with school-aged children in D & F elementary zones.
- Leads team to recruit new families with specific applicant goals per grade level--3:1 ratio (open grade levels) while ensuring applications are high quality and ultimately lead to enrollment
- Complies with all state, and organizational student registration requirements throughout the enrollment process (i.e. transfers, priority enrollment for 5 mile radius testing, etc.)
- 100% of new parents are onboarded and enroll prior to the first day of school
- Leads effort for 100% of all families accepted into the lottery to receive a home visit that inspires and compels families to accept the offer
- 90% of all families that receive a home visit post-lottery attend Welcome to IDEA
- Ensures all new families are effectively onboarded and registered by June, so that they persist through their first year in our schools
- 100% over enrollment goal for summer registration in June
- Campus safe and operational one week before the first day of school
- Responsible for managing all Beginning of Year (BOY) efforts with a specific focus on:
- 100% of positions filled, staff onboarded and in attendance at summer training
- ≥90 score on Beginning-of-Year quality scorecard
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students.
- Year 0 APOs directly manage 3 staff members: receptionist, SIS coordinator, and business clerk and hire 5 additional staff members in the Spring prior to first day of school.
- Year 0 APOs will report to campus principals and receive coaching from a regional director of operations
- Education: Bachelor's degree required
- Experience: Experience managing and developing a team to achieve ambitious results
- Experience effectively managing cross-functional priorities
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) candidates preferred
- Salaries for this role typically fall between $75,00 and $83,000 commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on individual and organizational performance and goal attainment. 20% travel for Rhodes monthly visits.
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.
Apply on company website