Position at IDEA Public Schools
IDEA Public Schools:
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that each and every one of our students graduates from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 58% of our students graduate from college in 6 years – that's 8 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2001 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. Under their continued leadership, today, we serve tens of thousands of students across Texas and Louisiana. By 2022, IDEA will serve 100,000 students in communities across the country. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you in the coming months—our upcoming schools will be in Tarrant County (Fort Worth/Arlington), New Orleans, Houston (2020), Midland/Odessa (2021), and Tampa Bay (2021)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you aren't just an employee. You are a part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn a bit more about IDEA, check out this video:
About the Rio Grande Valley
Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a school of 150 students in Donna, TX to the fastest- growing family of tuition-free, public charter schools in the United States. In the Rio Grande Valley, we are a nucleus of four counties (Cameron, Hidalgo, Starr and Willacy County) that work as one unit to support our children academically and holistically.
RGV is home to a population of just over 1.3 million residents. Children across the region truly benefit from IDEA's mission of college for all as only 1 out of 17 students graduate college-ready. Our mission holds true as we have 2,400 IDEA alumni that currently attend, or have graduated from, 150 colleges and universities across the country.
Join our passionate team of changemakers in south Texas as we prepare to expand our home region to 55 schools, serving over 38,000 students in 2022.
The Bus Monitor will ride buses and help driver ensure safe and orderly transportation of students with disabilities.
- Lift and carry students with disabilities on and off the bus according to their individual needs.
- Supervise students as they board and leave bus and cross street.
- Take children into building and help them find their way.
- Learn and adapt to each student's special medical, physical, communicative, and emotional needs.
- Manage student behavior and report student discipline problems to appropriate administrator.
- Communicate with teachers and parents on a daily basis regarding student behavior while on bus.
- Become familiar with all routes to and from school campus to be of assistance to driver.
- Maintain an updated route schedule.
- Supervise use of seat belts, harnesses, or car seats by students.
- Follow emergency procedures and help driver administer first aid, if necessary.
- Operate equipment according to established safety procedures.
- Follow established procedures and techniques to perform job duties including lifting, assisting students, etc.
- Become familiar with and follow procedures established by transportation and special education offices.
- Help driver keep bus clean.
- Work irregular hours as needed.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to follow verbal instructions and communicate effectively
- Ability to operate safety equipment and adaptive equipment
- Ability to work well with children with disabilities
- Maintain emotional control under stress.
- Frequent walking, stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing and pulling
- Moderate lifting and carrying.
- Work outside and inside
- Work around vehicles and machinery with moving parts
- Moderate exposure to extreme temperatures and vehicle fumes.
- GED or High School Diploma
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.
Apply on company website