Position at IDEA Public Schools
About The Rio Grande Valley
Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a school of 150 students in Donna, TX to the fastest- growing family of tuition-free, public charter schools in the United States. In the Rio Grande Valley, we are a nucleus of four counties (Cameron, Hidalgo, Starr and Willacy County) that work as one unit to support our children academically and holistically.
RGV is home to a population of just over 1.3 million residents. Children across the region truly benefit from IDEA's mission of college for all as only 1 out of 17 students graduate college-ready. Our mission holds true as we have 2,400 IDEA alumni that currently attend, or have graduated from, 150 colleges and universities across the country.
Join our passionate team of changemakers in south Texas as we prepare to expand our home region to 55 schools, serving over 38,000 students in 2022.
Role Mission: The District Mechanic (DM) will lead and implement repairs and/or replacements of district bus fleet ensuring the availability of units to be in safe operating condition meeting district, state and federal requirements with the guidance of the District Mechanic Service Manager (DMSM). The DM will support and provide guidance to the campuses they oversee to ensure goals are met regarding Maintenance cost per rider, goal of fleet per campus be in working conditions and ensure ServiceFinder work orders are completed within 48 hours.
1. Ensure bus fleet is in good working conditions and meeting district, state, and federal requirements
- Verify operational condition of bus fleet before using it to transport students
- Delegate duties to Campus Mechanics of how to complete minor repairs on fleet properly
- Maintain accurate records or operation work orders
- Stay up to date on district, state, and federal requirements
2. 7% savings on maintenance cost of bus fleet compared to previous year, while maintaining safe operating conditions
- Operate the budget within parameters set by the DMSM of the Transportation department
- Assure that all purchased parts are acceptable quality and at the best price available
- Maintain accurate inventory of all parts
3. Communicate with Campus Managers regarding fleet repairs
- Maintain open communication with campus managers
- Communicate both negative and positive feedback with drivers and managers regarding properly handling fleet
4. Identify areas of concern and implement corrections
- Use budget tracker and dashboard report to identify areas of concern
- Use background knowledge of diesel mechanic to implement corrections
5. Provide technical and maintenance training to Campus Mechanics as needed
- Provide periodic hands-on training to Campus Mechanics
- Make recommendations to vehicle specification in order to improve reliability and reduce warranty cost
- Maintain continued employee engagement with maintenance staff within the department
6. Maintain ongoing administration of outside service vendors
- Process payments in timely manner using purchase order systems
- Communicate with outside vendors regarding audit work, including trend analysis and recommendations to fleet managers based on report findings
7. We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and within time constraints
- Problem Solving
- Experience: Minimum of 3 years fleet mechanic repair experience (Transit or School Bus experience preferred)
- Licenses or Certifications: Commercial Driver's License (CDL), preferably with P&S Endorsements
Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience using purchase order systems
- Technical knowledge of diesel equipment
- Familiarity with diesel and gasoline systems
- Diagnostic, Electrical, and AC skills
- Ability to obtain P&S Endorsements within 90 days of start date with IDEA
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.
Apply on company website